Chapter 23

The two rushed out of the library, their hearts beating wildly. For the first time, they felt like the teenagers they were, instead of locked up criminals.

Their fingers were barely intertwined as they hurried up the stairs towards the dorms.

They checked Mavis's room first, but inside were Persephone and Dileini.

Soren's room however, was empty.

They made sure no one was in the halls before they slipped into the room, red cheeked and breathless.

They stood facing each other for a while, until they caught their breaths.

"So uh, should we just-"

Before he had the chance to be awkward, Mavis stood on the tip of her toes and connected their lips.

Soren craned his neck down as Mavis wrapped a hand on the back of it, deepening what started as an awkward kiss.

Soon they both relaxed, and it became more natural, their lips warm against each other, as their noses brushed with their smooth movements.

Yes it was still forbidden, yes it was electric, but this time it was no longer repellingly shocking. The electric feeling sent shivers down both their spines instead, and goosebumps rose across Soren's body. How could something so wrong feel so right?

The unsettling distance that was present between them last time was now long gone and forgotten, their bodies pressed against each other, alive, exhilarated.

Their lips detached for a moment as they both gasped for air, lips swollen.

"I have a bad feeling about this." Soren whispers, his breath fanning her face as they rested their foreheads against one another's.

"Me too." Mavis admits.

They'd never been this close.

She could see the specks of brown in his green eyes, and the faded scar on the right side of his upper lip.

He became familiar with the faint freckles on the bridge of her nose, and the way a tiny bit of brown blended into the blue of her right eye, and the smallest bit of blue circled the iris of her brown left eye.

A knock came at the door and the little world they'd created fell apart. Both stepped back, creating space between them.

Mavis fell onto the bed, and opened one of the books they'd brought along to a random page, while Soren opened the door.

One of the ladies that monitored the hall stood with her hands on her hips, with Zayn, the roommate, peering in from behind her.

"What's going on here?" Soren asked his gaze alternating between the old lady and Zayn.

"I could ask you the same question." The lady retorts, pointing at Mavis.

"We're working on a project. We've been paired up for biology." Mavis steps in, waving one of the books to prove her point.

"Why aren't you in the library?" She further interrogates.

"It was too dim and noisy." Soren responds.

Zayn pushed past the two, and sat down on the bed opposite to the one Mavis sat on, a grin on his face.

The monitoring lady glanced at them suspiciously one last time, before walking down the hallway.

Soren turned to glare at Zayn but Mavis quickly intervened.

"It wasn't him." She said. "They must of seen us on the hall surveillance camera across your door."

"I was the one who knocked 'fore she came in actually. To prepare y'all incase y'all were getting it on, ya know." Zayn winked at Soren who rolled his eyes.

"How did you even know I wasn't alone?" Soren grimaced at the thought, while Zayn only creepily grinned again.

"Well, I'll be leaving you to your room now." Mavis stands. "We'll continue this later. We've still got plenty of time." She walks out of the room with a wave as goodbye.

"What is it that y'all 'll continue?" Zayn pried.

Soren was asking himself that same question...