Chapter 13

The smell of freshly baked bread and coffee was the only thing louder than all the random chatter floating around the place.

The three sat in quietude, the boys reading the menu while Mavis observed them, taking advantage of their occupied state.

"I know what I'm going to get." Callum finally breaks the silence at their table.

"So do I." Says Soren.

They then both turn to her expectantly, and Mavis swallows.

"I'll have a cold lemonade." She speaks.

"Don't you want to eat?" Callum asks her. She shakes her head no.

"So you had us change our designated restaurant just so you don't eat either way?" Soren glares at her.

Mavis breathed hard, her nostrils slightly flaring, while Callum kicked his cousin under the table.

She tried to shake away the nausea she felt, but her annoyance with Soren only made the bile rise higher in her throat.

Their waitress approached them with a polite smile on her round face.

"Are you ready to order?" She chirps, focusing on Mavis.

"Yeah, uh I'll have the chicken and avocado wrap with a ginger ale. Oh and can I have a glass with ice along with it please?" Callum begins.

"Sure! And you?" The ginger turns to Soren and Mavis who sat opposite to Callum.

"We'll have two ham and arugula croissants." Soren turns away from Mavis.

"Would you like anything to drink?"

"A root beer and a cold lemonade please." He says, ignoring her clawing at his arm.

"Okay, so you'll be having one chicken and avocado wrap with ginger ale, accompanied by a glass with ice, and two ham and arugula croissants with one root beer and one cold lemonade. Anything else?"  The waitress says, staring in anticipation at Mavis who offered her her best smile and a shake of the head.

"No, thank you." Callum returns her smile and she walks away nodding.

When the food came, Soren pushed one of the croissants infront of Mavis who sipped at her beverage. She eyed him because she didn't understand why he needed so much space for his other one, but then understood he had ordered it for her when he held her gaze.

"I don't want to eat... " A slight crease forms between her eyebrows. "I'm nauseous."

"That's because you have nothing in your system. Stop being afraid of food." Soren argues. "Now eat before you pass out." He ordered authoritively.

To some extent, all three were confused.

Callum, because he didn't understand what the hell was happening.

Soren, because he found himself giving a shit all because he read her files.

And Mavis, who found that Soren gave a shit, but didn't understand why.

After that, the lot headed into the city, driving around with the radio blasting in order to prevent any more awkward situations.

The next stop was the mall. Something about Soren needing some stuff he forgot to bring along.

Soren walked ahead, Callum close behind while Mavis trailed after them casually.