Chapter 33

Everything inside the bar was tainted emerald by the green projectors hung at every corner.

Most tables were occupied but a few remained empty with a little "reserved" sign sitting in the middle.

The makeshift podium before the bar itself stood empty, the instruments set up and waiting to be played.

"It appears we've arrived earlier than expected." Mavis spoke as she twirled around absorbing the boho ornamentation of the place. She stood under the beaming light of one of the projectors with opaline dust particles floating around her, and to Soren she appeared bathed in juniper like some sort of pipe dream.

"I'd be willing to bet they're out back. Probably smoking or drinking pre-performance." Soren shoved his hands in his pockets glancing around as well.

"For some extra courage." Mavis finally faced him. In this lighting his eyes looked superlunary, the iridescent green of extortionate jewels.

She grabbed his face in both hands, soaking up the rare glean in his eyes, while Soren watched her expression turn whimsical. A child in a candy shop.

He smiled, and she dug her fingers in his dimples.

Soren lead them out back, where they indeed found the band.

Dileini and Persephone introduced them to Everette the drummer, Etien the lead singer and Kaia their manager. Persephone was the guitarist while Dileini the bassist. 

Dressed in various shades of black, with their piercings and tattoos, they most certainly looked the part of a rock band. Apparently, their friends were the youngest of the bunch, the rebellious rich kids who preferred hanging out with college junkies rather than their own school mates.

"So do you play any instruments?" Everette revived the conversation once the introductions faded.

"I do not." Mavis gave a shrug along with her grimace.

"How about you?" They turned to Soren.

"I- play the piano." He forced himself to say. He was sure among a group of rockers his classical hobby sounded silly.

"Is it the 'my parents are forcing me to play the piano' trope, or did you willingly go into it?" Etien asked, his accent prominent despite the rich vocabulary.

"Its the first option." Soren chuckled along with the rest of them.

"Perhaps a pianist would be an interesting addition to the band." Kaia put out her cigarette against her shoe and checked the time on her phone. She was the most intimidating among them despite her short frame. "Alright twerps, its show time."

"One of the front tables is yours, Kaia will get you seated." Persephone informed them as they all herded through the door, then climbed up the podium.

"You want anything to drink?" Soren asked Mavis once they'd spotted Kaia waving them over to one of the tables with the "reserved" plackets on them.

"Yeah actually, I'll have a Spritz Veneziano." Mavis replied, rummaging through her little purse. "You're not 18 yet." She glanced up at him.

"I've got a fake ID." He pulled it out of his wallet having understood her implication.

"What was it you said you wanted?"

"Aperol." She said, handing him money.

For the second time today he'd left her, irritated. When they'd ordered lunch earlier, he refused to let her pay for her share until she'd almost shoved the money down his throat, and now this.