Chapter 20

The rest of the week consisted of Soren tediously trying to dodge Mavis, while the latter simply tried to ignore everything that happened, despite her intrigue eating her from inside. She'd convinced herself "he just needed a lay" and that he knew she'd be an easy target. But then, why did he run away?

Soren was never the talkative type. Although among the popular at school, he was that guy who only spoke when necessary and strictly with his own group. He always either had his nose buried in a book or was surrounded by the boys. The girls back home called him the "strong and silent" type, which made him all the more admirable, but he always managed to turn them down. Throughout their whole school years together, Mavis had only known that he dated an older girl named Alegra throughout eighth and freshman year, until she moved away and replaced him with a senior.

You see Soren had only undergone puberty this summer. Yeah he was always buff because of all his years boxing, but his unfortunate haircuts, teenage acne and braces have only now been replaced with a clean buzz cut, clear glowing chocolate skin and neat rows of pearly whites. Not to mention the contrast between those emerald eyes and melanin soaked skin. He was beautiful to say the least.

Meanwhile Mavis had reached puberty a year earlier. She was still as lanky and pale as ever, but her body had developed slight womanly curves which would have been more prominent had she eaten more. Her long brown curtains had been chopped off and turned into a healthy long bob, while her slightly bigger forehead had been covered by wispy bangs. Unlike Soren, Mavis never afforded braces, so the gap between her front teeth persisted, but mixed with her high cheekbones, unique eyes and now groomed, thick eyebrows, it gave her a model like look. A tiny beauty mark had appeared above the right side of her lip, and she had finally embraced her height, at last straightening her shoulders and getting rid if her previous nickname "the hunchback of Notre Dame".

Outside, the first snow had fallen and covered the ground in a sparse white blanket. The windows had frozen, entertaining the students as they smashed it into glass like shards. The trees now stood completely bare, helplessly swaying trying to cover up. The wind yawped, recounting of the storms and festivities to come.

The halls were crowded with hundreds of navy blue jackets and sleepy teenagers being dragged to class, when they'd much rather remain huddled up in their warm beds.

In biology class, the teacher had finally graced everyone with her presence, Mavis quietly slipping in right behind her. She took the only available seat and immediately got to filling the margins of her copybook with scratchy doodles.

"Alright everyone, as promised you have a presentation coming up that will be on..."
Mrs. Kayson began with her awfully shrill voice.

Mavis tried her best to drown her out, still far too sleepy to be concentrated on anything other than trying not to drool on her hand as she propped her cheek against her palm.

"You will start working on it after Christmas vacation, as it will be done in pairs. Your research will be based off your books and the library only, that's why I'm not handing out your individual topics just yet. Now, since I'm feeling extra kind today, you may pick your partner. Those who are left will be randomly paired up, so if you have anything against that I suggest you pick your own partner." She says.

Mavis raises her eyes to the chaos that erupted as people began forming pairs and fighting over the smart individuals who would do all the work for them both. The vast majority was left satisfied, while the rest either were rejected or simply didn't bother picking.

"Alright that leaves us with 5 people. Anyone wants to work alone?"

Jenna, the typical goth chick in every cliché highschool story, was more than eager with the idea.

"Alrighty then, that leaves Mavis, Toby, Josiah and Soren." Mrs. Kayson pulls out a list of names and starts writing down the pairs.

"I'll work with Josiah." Volunteers Toby, who obviously had a crush on his bully. Kinky if you asked Mavis.

"Great! That leaves Mavis and Soren. You're the last pair."

Mavis sunk in her seat, trying to spot Soren from the corner of her eye.

He sat near the windows as usual, hood over his head as he pretended to be busy organizing his pens.

He lifted his gaze for a second and it was all it took for his eyes to meet hers.

Keeping his face completely neutral he nodded at her and she nodded back.

Great. Just great! Of course this had to happen.