chapter seven

iggy woke up early the next morning, she didn't understand what a birthday was exactly but it was a good thing apparently.

she got up onto the bed, accidentally waking rosa up in the process - but she was gonna end up waking up one of the two anyway eventually.

'RORO!'

'good morning ig, happy birthday!' rosa smiled

'birfay?'

'yeh, it's your birthday today,' rosa laughed. 'you're 2,' she told her while tickling her sides

gina groaned and stirred before smiling, 'happy birthday princess!' she opened her eyes and took the child off her girlfriend

'BIRFAY!'

gina laughed at her daughter, 'you wanna go open some presents?'

'YAY,' iggy got down off the bed and made her way to the living room, rosa and gina followed closely behind her

iggy froze when she got into the room as she saw it filled with balloons and presents

gina pointed to a large foil balloon in the shape of a 2, 'look baby, you've got a big balloon and a really big present over there.'

iggy started to understand that all of this was for her and ran over to the biggest box to open it first.

'you want some help?' gina asked her daughter

iggy ripped off a bit of the paper and ran back to the couple, handing rosa the paper in her hand.

'should me or mommy help you ig?'

iggy didn't give an answer, she just pulled rosa's hand towards the present as a sign that she needed help. rosa tore some of the paper off the paper off so it was easier for iggy to do the rest.

'wow, what is it ig?' gina asked, knowing exactly what it was

iggy gasped slightly when she saw what it was before she started jumping up and down and running around.

rosa smirked at gina, 'told you.'

'okay yes, she likes the motorcycle,' gina rolled her eyes. 'i didn't even know she knew what a motorcycle was.'

'i might have something to do with that...'

'that's not fair! did you ask her if you wanted a motorcycle?' of course it wasn't a real motorcycle, just one that iggy could push her legs along

rosa ignored the question, 'hey ig, you want me to open it?'

'YEH, OPEN!' the girl ran up to her present and looked at rosa expectingly.

rosa opened it and got the push along vehicle out of the box before placing it down.

'did you actually ask her if she wanted a motorcycle?' gina asked again

'no... i just showed her mine downstairs and stuff.'

'yeh but you didn't let her ride on it did you?'

'not without a helmet...' rosa joked

'rosa!'

'chill, no i didn't take a two year old on a motorcycle. we just sat on it and she laughed a lot,' rosa smiled. 'she loved it.'

'i hate you.'

'no you don't,' rosa moved closer and wrapped her arms around gina

'no i don't,' she smiled into rosa's chest

—————

after an eventful second birthday, iggy was tucked into bed whilst rosa and gina were cuddled up on the couch.

'you didn't actually drive around on the motorcycle did you?'

'no gi, obviously not. i'm not stupid enough to take a two year old out on a motorcycle, especially not in brooklyn.'

'i didn't say you were stupid, i'm just making sure you didn't.'

'and i told you twice already, i didn't take her anywhere. i revved the engine a couple times and she laughed,' rosa's tone was growing more serious. she pulled away from gina's warmth and looked at her.

'yeh okay, i got it. i just wanna make sure my kid's safe.'

'your kid?' rosa questioned

'no, not like that-' gina knew she'd made a mistake

'i know you gave birth to her but you know she means the world to me. i would never do anything to put her in danger. i'd take a bullet for her any day,' rosa was trying to stay calm but you could tell she was angry and hurt by what her girlfriend had said

'rosa that's not what i meant, i just... don't wanna see her get hurt i guess.'

'and you think i'd hurt her? i'd never do that to any of our kids... well apparently your kids...'

'rosa, don't do that,' gina had tears in her eyes. wow she'd made a stupid mistake. 'that's not what i meant, you know that.' gina tried to hold the raven woman's hand but she pulled it away.

'i'm going to bed.' rosa got up off the couch and stormed out of the room.

gina just sat there in silence. what had she just done? a few stray tears rolled down her cheeks, but she tried not to let too many fall down her face. this was her own fault.

gina waited for around 30 minutes before she got into bed next to rosa, both of them facing the walls rather than each other.

'night ro.'

'night.'

written: april 2021
published: may 2021