chapter eight

gina was up early the next morning, which barely ever happened anyway. what was even more bizarre about it was that it was a sunday, which meant she usually got out of bed at 11, not 7.30.

rosa woke up at 9.08 to find herself alone in bed. she was confused until she remembered what had happened the night before. she groaned to herself and buried her face in her pillow; the raven haired woman didn't even notice her girlfriend walk in until she felt the bed sink as gina sat down.

rosa lifted her head up to look at gina before setting it back down on her pillow.

'morning...' gina smiled slightly

rosa didn't reply

'cool... silent treatment. you're still mad.'

nothing was said for a couple of minutes until gina broke the silence.

'look ro, i'm sorry. i know you'd never do anything to hurt ig, you love her as much as i do.'

'thanks for stating the obvious, i love our kid.'

'so we're talking again?'

'i get it, you wanna protect her. obviously you do, but so do i. i know you don't wanna see her get hurt but i'd never do that to her, plus you asked me three times if i took her out on the bike and i told you no every time. do you not trust me with her or something?'

'no i do trust you, of course i do.'

'then?'

'the cinnamon rolls are gonna burn.' gina jumped up off the bed and went to the kitchen to find the cinnamon rolls she'd been making not burnt. they were probably one of the first things gina had made without burning any part of it.

iggy entered the room, pushing herself along on the little bike.

'you want some breakfast ig?'

iggy nodded before running over to a now dressed rosa as she walked in. 'morning ig,' she picked the child up and kissed her cheek as she placed her down in her seat at the table. 'i'll be back later, be good.'

'where you going?'

'out. on my bike. the bike that i didn't take iggy out on.' the detective didn't even wait for a reply, she just picked up her helmet and keys from the side and left.

—————

rosa was back a little after lunchtime and iggy was at her feet, hugging her legs, as soon as she walked into the apartment.

'hey sweetie,' she picked the girl up and began playing with her, throwing her up in the air and catching her. 'i missed you.'

'we missed you too,' gina piped up from the couch, 'quite a lot.'

'ig, you wanna go find your legos and we can play with them?' rosa asked as she put the child down. iggy ran off into her room with her little curls bobbing up and down on her shoulders.

'how was your bike r-'

'don't.' rosa stared at gina, 'i get that iggy's your kid and you love her and stuff, but so do i and it kinda hurts that you think i'd even think about putting her in danger.'

'rosa you know i'm sorry, i didn't mean it like that. iggy's my daughter, i love her more than anyone on this planet and i know you'd never do anything to hurt her bu-'

'i know, you're protective of her. of course you are, i get it but i promise you gi, i'll never hurt her. i meant what i said, i'd take a bullet for her.'

'i know... i'd rather you didn't but i know you mean it.'

iggy ran into the room and handed rosa two lego bricks. 'should we go get the rest whilst mommy gets us some popcorn and juice?' iggy nodded and pulled rosa out of the room

'love you ro.'

'love you.'

—————

'you're not still mad right?'

'no,' rosa replied, not looking up from the food she was preparing

'you okay?'

'mhm.'

'you sure about that? you can just tell me if you're still mad at me.'

'i'm not still mad at you gi.'

'can you turn around and face me then?'

rosa turned around and looked at gina before forcing a smile.

'babe what's up?'

'nothing.' she turned back to the food on the counter, but before she knew it, gina's hands were wrapped around her waist. 'i'm fine.'

'look we both know that's not true, i know you hate talking to people but you can tell me anything.'

'you didn't answer before. do you not trust me?'

gina grabbed her girlfriend's wrist and spun her around so she was facing the auburn haired assistant. 'rosa of course i trust you, i trust you with my life.'

'then?'

'i don't know, i just don't want anything bad to happen to ig and taking her on a motorcycle in brooklyn is one of the most dangerous things i can think of right no-'

'there's multiple knives hidden in the apartment, we live in brooklyn, there's some pretty poisonous bugs out there, again we live in brooklyn, there's creepy people, alcohol, dr-'

'you're not helping.'

'right...' rosa paused, 'carry on.'

'i don't want anything to happen to iggy. that's it, if you say you didn't take her out then i believe you but i'll always be worried about her, every minute of the day.'

'you're not the only one you know gi, i love her more than most things... i love you more but i love her a lot too. i'm never gonna hurt you or her or the baby, i love you all too much.'

'i love you too. we all do, always will.' gina wrapped her hands around rosa's neck and kissed her, 'no matter what.' she said after she pulled away. 'thank you ro.'

'for what?' rosa looked down at her girlfriend

'i don't know, just thank you.'

written: may 2021
published: may 2021