chapter twenty

'hey dad...' rosa said, confused, as her dad walked into the bullpen. 'what are you doing here?'

'hola mija, i just wanted to see you. i went round to the apartment before, gina's worried about you.'

'why were you at the apartment?' rosa questioned

'to see you on your day off, but gina told me you haven't had a day off for a while.'

'yeh... there's just an important case.'

'gina told me everything, when's your break?'

'now, apparently.' rosa pulled on her dad's arm and dragged him out to the roof. 'i don't wanna talk about it at work... or at home.'

'mija, gina's worried about you and so am i. you haven't taken a day off in over a week, i know you don't want anything to happen to any of them but you can't be working on the same case until you solve it. you have a family who needs you.'

'si dad i know but the more i'm here, the less danger i'm in. we think the guy would come after me rather than them and if i'm here i can try and solve it too.'

'i know rosa, but gina needs you. she's worried. promise me you won't take any extra shifts and you'll be home on your days off?'

'hey rosa,' charles opened the door to the roof. 'we have a new lead, you wanna come with us?'

'yeh, i'll be down in a sec boyle.' she told him, but she was really saying 'leave me alone for another minute'.

'okay,' he beamed before closing the door and going back into the bullpen

'promise me mija?'

'si okay, i promise i'll spend more time with gina.'

'if you want me to look after iggy and isla, i can do that and you know i will.'

'si, gracias dad.'

'now you get back to work, go catch that guy,' oscar smiled as he opened his arms for a hug, which his daughter leaned into reluctantly

'thanks,' she said as she pulled away. 'i'll see you this weekend maybe,' the sergeant added before leaving the rooftop

—————

the trio had investigated their lead and amy and charles were in the interrogation room, questioning their new suspect, whilst rosa was at her desk doing paperwork

gina <3: shsi soqmf o dkecw
rosa <3: what?
gina <3: isla took my phone

the sergeant smiled at the message, laughing to herself slightly at the thought of isla typing random words into gina's phone

gina <3: what time you gonna be home?
rosa <3: probably 6
gina <3: can you pick up some milk
gina <3: oh and i promised the girls donuts so those too
rosa <3: yeh sure
rosa <3: i'll be home soon
gina <3: good because we miss you
gina <3: i love you
rosa <3: i love you too

rosa turned her focus back to the papers in front of her, before her attention was once again taken by thoughts of her family at home. she smiled at the snow globe on her desk, specifically at her oldest daughter's face.

'so the guy knows nothing about ellis, but he did know about a drop off going down tonight,' charles started as he and amy walked over to rosa's desk. 'we know you've gotta get home, we can do the stakeout tonight, but this could be pretty crucial.'

'yeh, go do the stakeout. even if i'm not at the arrest i wanna get this guy.'

'we'll let you know how it goes down,' charles reassured her as the two cops left rosa's desk.

—————

rosa walked straight through the apartment into the kitchen the find her girlfriend cooking. the latina wrapped her arms around her waist and spun her around, leaning down to kiss her.

'hey,' she said as she pulled away. 'i got all the stuff from the store.' she pecked gina's lips again

'good day or something?'

'we got a new lead,' rosa smiled as she put the shopping away. 'you want me to finish dinner?'

'if you wanna, i don't mind.'

'where are the girls?' the sergeant asked as she took over from gina

'in iggy's room, they're playing with her toys.'

'did you get a delivery today?' rosa asked as there was a knock at the door

'no, but that might be it.' gina left the room and went to open the door, making her way back to the kitchen with a bunch of flowers in her hand a couple of minutes later. 'you got me flowers?'

'yeh, the card says i miss you but they were meant to arrive when i was still at work.'

'thank you babe,' gina smiled as she set them down on the table. 'i love them,' she took a couple of steps toward rosa, 'and i love you.' she kissed her fiancé

'i love you too gi.' she smiled. 'can you go get ig and isla, i'm nearly done with cooking.'

'mhm,' the redhead said before leaving the kitchen for the second time.

rosa smiled from the kitchen when she heard iggy yell, 'momma!' from her bedroom. the child clearly hadn't realised she was home but ran into the kitchen to give her a hug as soon as gina told the girl she was.

'hey sweetie,' rosa picked the girl up and kissed her cheek, holing her in one arm and dishing up the food with her other hand. 'you know what we're gonna do tonight?'

'play with duckie?'

'nope,' rosa smiled. 'me and you and momma and duckie are gonna have a movie night.'

'YEH YEH YEH!' the girl shouted in rosa's face

'but only if you're good,' she put her daughter down. 'you think you can carry this all the way to the table without dropping it?'

iggy nodded and reached up to take the bowl out of her mom's hand. she carried it all the way to the table without dropping it and handed it to gina, before excitedly running back to rosa in the kitchen

—————

it was about two thirds of the way through moana, both girls were asleep and rosa was almost asleep herself too.

'baby?' gina whispered

'hmmm?' rosa groaned, waking up slightly

'go get in bed, i'll put the girls to sleep.'

'mhm,' she said before pulling isla closer to her chest and going back to sleep

gina just chuckled at her and took iggy to bed, coming back a couple of minutes later to find isla was no longer asleep

'babe,' gina said in a pound whisper

'mhm?'

'let's get to bed,' she helped rosa off the couch and took her to the bedroom. once rosa was in bed, gina gently rocked isla to sleep in her own room. 'night night princess. i love you,' she kissed the child's head before placing her in her crib.

the redhead went back to her own room and got into bed. 'night babe, i love you so much.' she pecked rosa's lips which curled into a smile as she pulled away. the latina wrapped her arms around her fiancé, still half asleep, before cuddling further into her and falling asleep again.

written: august 2021
published: august 2021

a/n: hi :)
i've already finished the next chapter and i have two more to write (i think) and then i'm done! the next few chapters (probably til the end) will be a lot longer than usual, so far the next two are both over 2k words but i'm not done with chapter 22 yet so we'll see :)