chapter seventeen

rosa didn't like her birthday, everyone knew that, however the sergeant couldn't help but smile when she was greeted by her little family waking her up on her birthday by singing happy birthday.

'happy birthday momma,' the almost three year old said as she led down on top of rosa.

'thank you ig,' she smiled before looking at her fiancé and youngest daughter standing next to the bed.

'isla don't do that sweetie,' gina removed rosa's birthday card from the girl's mouth. 'do you really have to eat everything?'

isla just giggled and reached for one of her toys that was on rosa's bedside table. the redhead handed her the toy before turning her attention back to rosa and giving her the now wet card.

'thanks,' she smiled as she opened it. her face dropped as she read the words you are invited to celebrate the birthday of rosa diaz, 'what did you do...'

'nothing bad, i promise.'

rosa looked at her other half, unconvinced.

'i swear, there's no party. nothing big. we're not seeing anyone from work. your dad's gonna take the girls for a little bit later and then we're doing something here tonight.'

'what do you think ig, should i trust mommy?'

iggy shook her head, 'mommy say no moana lat-'

'because it's momma's birthday and we're gonna do what momma likes to do.' gina cut in before iggy could say anymore about the movie night she had planned

'we can watch moana tomorrow okay? i'd say we can watch it today but mommy has stuff planned.' rosa smiled

'mhm, and the first thing planned is breakfast. what do you wanna eat?'

'we should make cookies.' rosa grinned

'you're gonna throw flour on me aren't you...' gina asked, not wanting to know the answer

'i never said that... but maybe.'

—————

making the cookies was eventful. isla was sat on the counter the whole time and somehow managed to find her baby biscuits and open them, iggy was running around the kitchen, occasionally 'helping with the cookies' which was just eating a few chocolate chips, rosa had put flour on gina's nose which of course resulted in what looked like a flour snow storm all over the kitchen and gina managed to both almost burn the butter and keep some of it solid when she was just meant to melt it in the microwave. maybe eventful was an understatement.

the four of them were now, however, sat at the table with their cookies.

'they taste pretty good considering it's only 9am and we made them from scratch.' rosa stated, 'how did we even make cookies before 9am with two little kids and you.'

'what do you mean 'and you',' gina looked at her

'babe, you can't bake to save your life.' rosa laughed

'well iggy thinks i'm a good baker, right ig?'

iggy had just taken a bite out of her cookie and had no idea what the two were talking about, but nodded regardless.

rosa smiled, breaking a few more little pieces off her cookie and putting them on the tray attached to her youngest daughter's high chair.

'if you say so,' rosa held her fiancé's hand under the table.

—————

'feliz cumpleaños mija, see you later.' oscar diaz waved the couple off, holding his youngest granddaughter in one arm and the two year old's hand in the other hand.