Chapter 5.2: Uneasy

(Homeworld)

The Gems noticed just how far Homeworld has advanced due to Black Diamond's actions, and at the same time, how much it has changed from what they originally were. Just about every corner of the city had a group of Battle Eyes around, stone buildings were eventually completely replaced with metal, and those that remained had massive chunks of machinery placed where Black said they needed to be. While none would dare say it out loud, most Gems before Black came around were unnerved by his presence, more than the other Diamonds. They weren't sure what it was, but it was something about Black Diamond that gave them an uneasy feeling in the pits of their metaphorical stomachs. Perhaps it was his quick, mechanical way of speaking, or maybe it was how his creations would just, stare at them when not performing any duties. But if they could give you an answer, they would probably say, "Because he doesn't look like a normal Gem!"

It was grossly apparent that Black Diamond had the appearance of a male, voice and all. While the Gems as a whole do not possess gender, they all unanimously identified as female, since that's what they thought was the only appearance they had. But Black had somehow broken this cycle, and while it's not in any way a problem that would hinder their work, it just felt...different, working for a male Gem. The Battle Eyes, while proving to be useful servants, had eventually been given certain amounts of power that other Gems do not, causing some to even be under the command of one such machine. This made them feel less important, it was an outrage that a few simple computers were being given praise, while the lesser Gems have been doing just as well since the establishment of the empire, that is what they thought.

But just telling you all this wouldn't be fair, so let's find a scenario to demonstrate. One such incident is taking place right now on Homeworld, involving a group of three Peridots, who were currently on there way to Black Diamond's Palace for a simple repair job. To make it easier to understand, we will refer to them by gem placement: Palm, Knee, and Neck, the leading Peridot.

Knee: So what are we fixing today?

Palm: Some new invention Black Diamond's been working on, it blew a fuse again!

Knee: What kind of invention?

Palm: I don't know, he said it was a quicker way to make specific tools, I think it's called a "Printer" or whatever.

Knee: Printer? Sounds like what you use to mark something!

Palm: Trust me, it's far better than that! It'll be another one of Black Diamond's greatest breakthroughs!

They arrived at the entrance to Black's palace, where they were met by two Battle Eyes with red eyes.

Battle Eye 1: Identify yourself!

Neck: Peridot Facet-6S1B Cut-7DF. We're here to repair the "Printer" device.

Battle Eye 2: You are overdue by 22 minutes! I will take you to the device, follow!

Neck wanted to say something about that first statement, but forced her lips shut. They were delayed for a good reason, as one of their saucers needed immediate maintenance, but it would just go over the machine's dome, and would just scream at her some more. Neck realized from the moment she emerged on Vulcan, that the Battle Eyes were Black's main focus, and she would just have to put up with it.

The Peridots went through a long corridor before entering Black Diamond's chamber. While it still retained the normal, crystalline design from when it was constructed, it had now become a research lab of sorts, with bits of machinery installed into the walls, glass bottles with chemicals sat in a refrigerated box, and the reason the Gems came here, the Printer device sat in the middle.

It was a strange device, shaped a large square, with a number of small arms above, connected to another square. There was a panel missing on the front right corner, exposing a burnt motherboard.