Chapter 17: Is This Right?

(Earth, months before the arrival of Slap Trap)

Gems are born fully grown, knowing exactly what they are made to do, and how to use their powers. Steven, however, isn't able to fully control, or outright use his abilities since he was part Human.

One day, the Gems were going on a special mission to restore the Lunar Sea Spire, which was once a Crystal Gem base of sorts during the war.

The Gems were going to restore it themselves, but Steven insisted on helping. On the same day, he received a backpack in the shape of a cheeseburger, and wanted to prove his worth.

(Steven)"Woah, the Sea Spire!"

(Bismuth)"Geez, it didn't look this bad last time we checked."

(Garnet)"I'm sensing structural instability."

(Hematite)"That's not good. Let's hurry before it falls apart even more."

They made their way towards the spire, but came to an abrupt halt when they reached the cliff.

(Amethyst)"What's the hold-up? We can clear this easily!"

(Garnet)"No. The magnetic field that sustains the whirlpool creates a vortex that will pull us below."

(Lapis)"I could just fly across."

Two masses of water sprouted from her gemstone, and she started to float over the gape, only to be pulled down. Amethyst summoned her weapon, a whip, and caught her by the ankle.

(Lapis)"Ok, this is going to be harder than I thought. What now?"

(Hematite)"We could find a big enough boulder, or-"

(Steven)"Oh wait!"

He reached into his backpack, and took out several sweaters.

(Amethyst)"What are those for?"

(Steven)"They were for keeping warm, *Ties them together* but check it out."

He threw one end around a pillar, and with a deep breath, he jumped.

(Gems)"Steven!"

He was getting pulled down, but with his pure strength, he managed to get up and over the ledge.

(Hematite)"Hey, it worked!"

He stretched his arm around the pillar, and did the same, followed by Amethyst, holding the others while she was at it.

(Inside the Spire)

(Amethyst)"Man, this place is more janked up on the inside."

(Bismuth)"Shame to see my work like this."

(Steven)"You built this place?"

(Bismuth)"Well, not just me. There was a whole bunch of Bismuths here, working day and night building hallways and statues for the higher class Gems to walk around talk about how great they are, but that changed during the war!"