Chapter 22: Other Friends

(If you guys were curious, Black's gemstone is shaped like Blue's, but upside-down. You can see it better in his second form.)

(Black)"One more should just about do it

(Black)"One more should just about do it...there."

He took a small stone in his palm, and used his cables to inject it with a small portion of his energy. In mere moments, the stone grew a face, and a set of arms and legs.

(Black)"There we are, that makes 30 now!"

What Black just made is a Pebble, an "artificial" Gem, although it's nothing more than a normal rock. They lack the special abilities a Gem has, but this Diamond created them to decorate his room. Why? There's really no reason, he's just trying to pass the time without working himself, which Blue suggested to him, but he never thought it would be so...lackluster.

(Black)"...Guess I could go...there. Never really did ever since she got it for me last month."

He took a Warp Pad to a large area with plants from a number of planets that he colonized years ago. This is also the place where he sent the other Rose Quartzes, as their ability to control plant life keeps the garden in wonderful condition.

(RQ)*Watering flowers* "...? Oh! Everyone, Black Diamond's here!"

Every last quartz in the area assembled at the entrance, and gave the signature salute.

(RQs)"Welcome back, my Diamond!"

(Black)*Sarcastic* "Yes, yes, yes, it's VERY good to see you all!"

The other reason he keeps the Roses here is because he can't stand looking at them. They only remind him of...that one. But that wasn't the reason he came here. After a recommendation by Blue, White gave Black a gift, a rare Gem, a Spinel.

Spinels are only given to Gems who've truly earned it by accomplishing great feats, or if they're a Diamond. The Gem itself is classified as a "friend", who's power to alter their shape without actually shapeshifting is used to play with their owners.

They also come in four styles: Heart, Diamond, Spade, and Club. In the heart of the garden, there she stood. Black's Spinel had lavender skin, and dark purple, spade-shaped hair buns.

(Spinel)"Oh, Black's here!"

She stretched both arms around his torso, squeezing the non-existent wind out of him.

(Black)"It's...good to see you, too! C-Could you let go?"

(Spinel)"I've been waiting SOOOO long! So now that you're here, what are we gonna play?"

(Black)"Um...uh...let's see..."

He didn't actually think of what he would play with Spinel, he never actually played ANYTHING in his entire life. He doesn't know how to, but he didn't want to waste the gift Blue gave him.

(Spinel)"Well?"

(Black)"Uh......oh! I have an idea of what we can play!"

(Spinel)"Uh huh, UH HUH!?"

(Black)"My stars, she's so energetic!/It's very simple, I saw this game being played on some planet a couple years ago. You chase each other around and try to grab them. Does that sound fun?"

(Spinel)"Yeah, let's do that!"

(Black)"Ok, I'll run, and you try catching me!"

And so for the next few hours, they played Tag, but more intense, as they both have similar abilities that extend their bodies. After that, they spent the rest of the night watching the Roses tend to the garden, listen to the music which plays throughout the entire area.

(Spinel)"Hey, Black?"

(Black)"Yes?"

(Spinel)"I never thought of this until now, but why do you look so...scary?"

(Black)"This form that I take? It was a choice I made after a long battle on the planet Earth, by a Rose Quartz's hands."

(Spinel)"A Rose? How, I thought the Diamond's were invincible!"

(Black)"And this Gem proved that to be wrong, didn't she? But, to be truly honest, I do not hate my decision. Rose opened my eyes, and helped me realize that I have to take my role more seriously."

(Spinel)"Seriously?"

(Black)"When I first emerged from the planet, I was like an organic child, no idea what I was made for. I never made a proper military in my little section of the empire, just toiling away with useless experiments. When she instigated the war, I was completely unprepared."

(Spinel)"Did you feel sad? When she betrayed you?"

(Black)"...Yes. I felt like I failed everyone. My colony, my court, my family. I can't even imagine how terrified they were the moment my body destabilized. Especially Blue, she worries about me every single day. She felt like I was pushing myself too hard."

(Spinel)"That's when she gave me to you, right?"

(Black)"Yes, and it has actually made me feel a lot better."

(Spinel)"Of course I did, that's what best friends are for!"

She gave him another constricting hug.

(Black)"Hahaha, then I'm glad to have a best friend like you!"

(Homeworld: Yellow's Sauna)

(Blue)"Black's looking much better after I gave him a Spinel, don't you agree?"

(Yellow)"Yes. He was actually starting to worry me, it looked like he was going to be a smaller version of me forever. I still don't understand why refuses to go back to his original form."

(Blue)"He told me that he'll only change it when something important happens. Like...you know, the Earth incident."

(Yellow)"Ugh, just the name sickens me. At least his special weapon will take care of it once and for all. That reminds me, when will it be ready?"

(Blue)"I don't know, one of Black's Scouting Eyes was supposed to bring him back a full report on the Cluster's progress two months ago."

(Y-Pearl)"My Diamond, SE-2006 has arrived, and wishes to speak with you."

(Yellow)"Oh, that machine Black made. Send it in."

The Pearl bowed, and SE-2006 walked in, giving the Diamond salute.

(SE)"My Diamonds. I came here to ask if you knew where Black Diamond is. I have several reports I need to give him."

(Blue)"Oh, he must be in his garden with Spinel."

(Yellow)"Do any of those reports have anything to do with the Cluster Project?"

(SE)"Unfortunately no. The Scouting Eye I sent to Earth has yet to respond. I've received no messages from ST-4967, so I'll be sending his partner, Peridot, to see what's going on. Now if you excuse me, I'll be on my way."

(Yellow)"Maybe one of those Corrupted beast tried eating it. Wouldn't be the first time a disobedient Gem has ruined something."

(Blue)"It's quite sad, really. Such a promising colony had to go to waste."

(Yellow)"Trust me, you'll feel better when it's ripped to pieces, we'll never have to think about it again."

(Blue)"I suppose you're right..."

(So if you've been a follower of me for a while now, then you've probably seen my attempt at a love story, The Tale of Two Dimensions. I was new to writing, and I don't like how it turned out, so I'm thinking about rewriting the whole thing. So if you guys wanna read that, be my guest.)