52

The next day arrived as Beomgyu had to say goodbye to his temporary sanctuary; the hospital. He recalled the bitter feeling of having to leave a place where he felt safe. Dissimilar to the time he had to leave the Kangs.

Of course, staying for a few days at the hospital felt more of a week. But then again, it was nice not having to live in fear during the last few days he was there. Taehyun insisted that Beomgyu should stay at his place for the time being as he shouldn't take the risk of getting hit again while he was still injured, but the latter convinced him that he was going to be just fine.

"But—"

"No 'buts'," interrupted Beomgyu, "as I said, everything is going to be fine,"

"At least let me follow you on your way back. Knowing that you get home safely is the least that I can do," said Taehyun.

"Well—okay. Just follow me until we reach the entrance of our neighbourhood, I don't want my father seeing us together again," said Beomgyu as he bit his lip.

Taehyun exchanged a nod as he heaved the latter's backpack over his shoulder. There wasn't much to pack since Beomgyu had just practically worn a hospital gown while he was here, so it was just his school books, toiletries and, of course, his new phone—which he used pretty often to keep himself entertained.

They took a cab back to their neighbourhood (Beomgyu tried telling him how getting some steps in wouldn't inflict any form of pain to his bruise, but Taehyun said otherwise). Come to think of it, Beomgyu can't recall a moment where he had properly win his way talking out o Taehyun; it was always him who established more dominance when it came to them having contrasting opinions or thoughts.

Without even realising it, Beomgyu slipped out a yawn, feeling a hand gently placing his head on a pair of broad shoulders.

"Get some sleep, I'll wake you up once we arrive," whispered Taehyun softly.

»»—— ——««

Suddenly feeling the sensation of a hand stroking his hair, Beomgyu lifted his eyelids softly. He looked out of the car window to see the familiar scenery of a line of houses; they were here.

20 long minutes had gone by in a matter of seconds while he was asleep, and Beomgyu soon had to face the fact that he can't be hiding from this much longer.

"You should've wakened me up," said Beomgyu once they got out of the taxi.

"I know, but I wanted you to rest a little longer—and... I didn't want to leave you alone so early,"

Beomgyu forced a smile after hearing Taehyun say that.

"Don't be scared, remember, just let out a scream and I'll be there in 2 seconds," said Taehyun. The latter let out a chuckle in response.

"I'll be fine," Beomgyu lied. 'Fine' was what he wished to feel when in reality, Beomgyu felt as if he was going to collapse onto his knees anytime soon from fear. The sickening memories started to resurface. He bit back the urge to cry.

Reading his body language, Taehyun shuffled in closer as he placed his hands across Beomgyu's body. The warmth from his pressed firmly against the latter's as he patted his back soothingly. They remained as they were for a few moments, both not wanting to let go until Beomgyu felt the confidence to be released from Taehyun's embrace as he pulled away softly.

"Don't worry about me," he smiled, swinging his backpack over his shoulders as he darted into the distance from Taehyun's sight. Soon becoming indifferent to a small dot that blended in with the background as Taehyun watched Beomgyu enter the house.