Chapter 29 - Alpha Ceremony

Lucy's POV

Today's the day for my Alpha Ceremony. I was a little nervous, hopefully everyone in the pack accepts me. I know Natsu, Gray and Erza said they will, but it only does little to ease my nerves. "Nervous?" Erza asked as I walked with her through her Beta duties. She wanted me to join her so that I can get some experience before becoming Alpha Female.

"How can you tell?" I asked. I've tried so hard to act not nervous so that I look like an Alpha. "You've had your tail curled between your legs all morning" she stated, and I noticed she was right. I untucked my tail from between my legs and walked normally with a nervous chuckle. "It's okay to be nervous. You should've seen Natsu when he became Alpha. He was so nervous, he didn't get a wink of sleep the night before and when he went on a morning run, to get rid of some excess energy, he lost track of time and was late to his ceremony" she told me. "Really?" I giggled. Sounds like something he would do. "Yes, so my advice would be is to just be yourself. You may be becoming Alpha but that doesn't mean we want you to change" she said which made me feel better. She's right, I don't need to act like an Alpha, I have to be an Alpha. "Thanks Erza. That really helped" I said with a smile and she smiled back.

"Speaking of Natsu, I haven't seen him since last night at the party" I said as I looked around for my pink furred mate. "He's probably still sleeping after having that Beer Berry contest with Gray. I swear those boys are nothing but trouble" she sighed, and I giggled. She's not wrong. "Well, as long as those two come to your ceremony on time then I don't see a problem" she said, and then we continued to go through her Beta duties.

When midday came, it was time for the ceremony. "Where are those two?" Erza wondered in anger as we were waiting for Natsu and Gray at the centre of the pack. All Alphas and Beta must attend and it's Natsu job as Alpha to call the pack. Erza looks ready to attack them at first sight. "What do we do? Should we go look for them?" I asked. "No. When an Alpha is absent, as long as one Beta is present, a Beta may gather the pack and begin the ceremony. Looks like I'll have to start the ceremony until Natsu and Gray arrive" she said and then howled for the pack to assemble.

Everyone came to the centre of the pack except for Natsu and Gray. Where could they be? I was more curious about where they were than being nervous about the ceremony. Although, having Natsu here could ease my nerves a bit more. "I have gathered the pack here today to hold the ceremony for Lucy to become Alpha Female" Erza announced. I noticed a few knowing smiles among the pack, especially from the girls. "Lucy, step forward-" "Wait!" someone interrupted Erza and we all turned to see Natsu and Gray running towards us. Better late than never I suppose.

"Sorry we're late Lucy" Natsu whispered to me. "Why were you two late?" I asked in a whisper. "Tell you later" he whispered back before taking his place between Gray and Erza. "Carry on Erza" he told Erza and she cleared her throat. "Lucy, step forward in front of Alpha Natsu" she told me and I did as she said. "Lucy, do you accept the role of Alpha?" Natsu asked. "I do accept" I replied. It's a little weird seeing Natsu so serious. "Will you uphold your Alpha duties and responsibilities?" he asked next. "I will" I replied. "Will you..." he paused with a confused face. "What's the next question?" he asked Gray quietly and I smiled. It's not surprising he forgot part of his lines. It's actually kind of cute.

Gray rolled his eyes and then whispered into his ear. "Oh yeah" Natsu muttered and then cleared his throat. "Will you stay forever faithful and loyal to the Fairy Tail pack?" he asked. "I will" I replied, and he gave me a reassuring smile before turning to the pack.

"If anyone in the pack has any objections to Lucy becoming Alpha Female, speak now or forever hold your peace" he announced. For a whole minute, no one said a word of objection. Not even Laxus and the Thunder Legion which surprised me. It looks like Natsu, Gray and Erza were right, the pack did want me as Alpha Female.

"Since there are no objections, Lucy is officially the Alpha Female. Now we can continue onto the next part of the ceremony" Natsu announced. 'What next part?' I wondered. They never told me there was going to be another part! "As a part of pack tradition," Natsu paused before walking up to me. "Alpha Lucy will you please join me for a run around our territory?" he asked. Since it was part of the ceremony and pack tradition, I happily agreed. "Yes I will Alpha Natsu" I answered officially and he smiled brightly. "Well then let's go! Ladies first" he said, letting me start the run.

I smiled at him before running towards the border of the pack's territory with him not far behind me. He caught up to me in no time and ran beside me. When we reached the border, we turned left to follow it around Fairy Tail's territory. "So, why were you and Gray late for the ceremony?" I asked as we ran. "We accidentally slept in and then fought over who ate the most berries" he explained, and I giggled. 'Why am I not surprised' I thought with a smile.

"Ok, and what's this tradition about?" I asked. "It's just a way for Alphas to honour the pack they lead. Alphas have to run around their territory either by themselves or with the other Alpha to show that they will protect the pack" he explained. "At least, that's what Gramps told me when he passed the Alpha title to me" he added. "Sounds like an important tradition. Are there any other traditions I need to know about?" I asked. "No, but enough talking about boring old traditions. Race you to the end of the territory?" he suggested cheekily. Without replying I sped up so I was overtaking him. "See you at the finish line" I laughed and then I heard him laugh. "Oh I see how it is" he said amused and then overtook me. Even though he was ahead of me, he made sure not to lose me. Needless to say, it was obvious that Natsu was going to win this race.