Chapter 9 - Painful Memories

Natsu's POV

I finally finished all of my Alpha duties and now I can hang out with Lucy. "Erza I'm all finished. Can I hang out with Lucy now?" I asked my red-furred Beta. "I say this is the fastest you've ever completed your Alpha duties. Yes you may go hang out with Lucy" she replied with a proud smile. I yipped happily before running to the lake where I saw Lucy last. Erza and Gray chuckled behind me as I ran but I ignored them.

When I arrived at the lake, I looked around and found Lucy having a nap underneath a tree beside the lake. I quietly crept towards her so I didn't wake her up and laid down beside her. She looked so peaceful that I decided to watch over her until she wakes up.

About a few minutes later, her peaceful expression turned into one of fear. Her brows creased and she whimpered in her sleep. "Lucy" I gently called her but she didn't wake up. She started clawing the ground like she was running in her sleep. "Lucy" I called her again a little louder but I got the same response. Her breathing escalated and her whimpering became painful to hear. "Mama" she cried in her sleep and tears started falling down her face. I couldn't take seeing her like this anymore so I jumped to my paws. "Lucy! Wake up! Lucy!" I shouted as I shook her body with both my front paws. Her eyes shot open in alarm and her whole body tensed.

It took her a minute to calm down. "Are you okay Lucy?" I asked with concern as I laid back down beside her and gently nuzzled her neck in comfort. Without a word, she turned her head and buried it into my chest. I could feel her tears wetting my fur but I didn't mind. "Cry for as long as you need" I told her gently and then rested my head on top of hers. The only sounds I could hear were the leaves blowing in the wind and Lucy's sobs. It broke my heart to see her like this. I waited patiently for her to stop crying. Whatever her nightmare was about it must have scared her.

A few minutes she stopped crying but she didn't remove her head from my chest. I knew this might not be the best time to ask but I needed to know. "What was your nightmare about?" I asked. She shifted slightly so her head was still lying underneath my head but it wasn't buried in my chest anymore. "I was reliving the day my old pack was destroyed" she replied. "Mind telling me what happened that day?" I asked, hoping talking about it might help her feel better.

"It's always the same nightmare. It starts with me and my friend playing near the dens. We were having fun until we heard multiple howls in the distance. All the adults and the Zodiac pack ran towards the howling while my mother ran to us. 'Hide in the Alpha den' she said urgently. 'What's happening Mama?' I asked. 'No time to explain. Hurry into the den little one' she replied while pushing me towards the den with her snout. My friend and I followed my mother's orders and ran into the Alpha den while my mother protected the entrance. I could hear fighting and screams of pain in the distance. At that moment I knew we were being attacked by a rival pack" Lucy paused her story. "Those screams still haunt me now in my nightmares" she added.

She took a deep breath before continuing. "Two wolves from the rival pack broke through our defences. It was the Alpha who had light blonde fur and one of his Betas who had dark navy fur. My mother growled at them, threatening them to stay away. 'Surrender the pups and yourself Layla and we might let your pack live' the Alpha said. 'Over my dead body' my father said as he jumped in front of my mother. 'That can be arranged' the Alpha said and attacked my father" Lucy paused and dug her paws into the earth.

"My father never stood a chance... My mother screamed my father's name as the Alpha landed a fatal bite to my father's throat. My mother turned to look at me 'my darling Lucy, I love you. Don't ever forget that. Live for me. Now run!' she said quickly before attacking the Alpha. My friend and I ran for our lives deep into the forest. 'Get them!' I heard the Alpha order his Beta. I looked back as we ran and I saw the light leave my mother's eyes as she laid dead by the Alpha's paws" she paused as she let out a few sobs.

I nuzzled her closer to me and waited patiently for her to continue. 'Once I find out who murdered her pack. I'm going to kill them' I vowed to myself. As soon as Lucy was ready, she continued her story.

"My friend and I ran as fast as we could but the Beta caught up and grabbed my friend before running back to the Alpha. I kept running and hid inside a bush. I hid knowing the Beta would come back to try and find me. Luckily for me, it started to rain and the rain hid my scent. I was scared when I saw the Beta's paws next to the bush I was hiding in but was relieved when she left. I stayed there scared and cold until the next morning. That's where the nightmare ends" Lucy finished.

"It's been a while since I've had that nightmare" she added with a sigh as she removed her head from my chest. "How often do you get this nightmare?" I asked. "After that day, I had it every night but now it's every now and then" she replied. It hurt to know she was still haunted by that day for all these years. From hearing her story, I had two questions I wanted to ask. "How did you survive after that?" I asked. "At first, I scavenge from prey that some Rogue wolves left behind. When I was big enough I hunted small prey like rabbits and mice with techniques I learnt from watching my late mother. Eventually I learnt how to hunt bigger prey on my own" she replied. I was surprised she learnt how to survive all by herself at such a young age.

"Who attacked your old pack?" I asked my last and most important question. Her eyes widened, "I know if I tell you, you might try and attack them. I don't want to put my new pack in danger because of me" she replied. "Who" I growled in my Alpha tone, determined to know which pack could've cause Lucy this much pain. She whined but knew I wasn't going to let this go without an answer. "Sabertooth" she whimpered.