Chapter 30 - Family

Natsu's POV

It's been over two months since the war with Sabertooth and Lucy is ready to give birth any day now. Lucy and I were having a little moment together in our den. Since she is my mate, she moved into my den after her Alpha Ceremony. I was lying behind her with my head resting on the back of her neck. Her belly is a lot more swollen now. I wonder how many of our pups are in there. She's been holed up in our den for a few days now and I can't wait for our puppies to arrive.

The other day I had one of the most exciting experiences ever, Lucy called me over and told me that she could feel the puppies kicking. I excitedly put my ear up to her stomach and heard their heartbeats before feeling a small kick. I was so ecstatic that I did a few excitement laps around Lucy while she giggled.

My head shot up as I heard Lucy groan painfully. "You ok Lucy?" I asked, wondering if it was an odd stomach cramp. "No" she groaned and panted, "I think the puppies are coming" she said the news I've been waiting. I was prepared for this day but now that it's happening, I'm panicking! "Ok, ok, first I need to get some water...no ah, I need to get some leaves...no ah-" "JUST GET THE FEMALES!" she shouted with a loud groan and I immediately ran out of the den to get the females.

As soon as I was outside, I howled loudly and urgently. I paced outside of the den waiting for the pack to arrive. Most of the pack rushed towards the den and noticed my restless state. Levy was one of the first to arrive, followed by Gajeel. "Is Lu giving birth?" she asked. "Yes she is" I replied while continuing to pace. Levy, Erza, Mira, Juvia, Lisanna, Bisca and Wendy rushed inside the den to help Lucy with the birth.

"Careful Flame Brain. If you keep pacing like that, you're going to dig a short trench" Gray joked as he walked up to me with Gajeel, Elfman and Loke. "Yeah, you shouldn't worry, Blondie's strong. Besides, she has Shrimp helping" Gajeel said. "I heard that. I told you not to call me Shrimp" Levy complained as she trotted out of the den and passed us. "How is she?" I asked and she stopped to turn to me. "In a lot of pain but she's doing well" she replied with a smile and then ran off to who knows where.

"How do you feel about this Loke? Lucy's was your former Alphas' pup" Gray asked. "I'm happy that I'm here to see this. The Celestial Pack will live on in the Fairy Tail Pack through these new pups" Loke replied. He's right, in a sense, Lucy becoming my mate and Alpha Female of Fairy Tail is basically merging the two packs together.

Soon Levy returned with a leaf full of water in her mouth and then walked back into the den. Suddenly, we all heard Lucy's painful scream from outside the den. I groaned anxiously and then continued to pace. I wonder how long this was going to take.

After a few hours, all the females walked out with big smiles on their faces. I immediately stopped pacing and turned to them. "Go meet your pups Natsu" Mira said as the females stepped aside to let me through. I let go of the breath I didn't know I was holding in and then cautiously walked inside the den.

The first thing I saw was my beautiful mate laying down with her back legs to the side towards me. She looked up to see me walk in and then looked down lovingly at the two wiggling pups by her stomach. Both had their eyes closed and were crawling around. I smiled brightly as I saw them. One of them had pink fur like mine while the other was blonde like Lucy's fur. "Natsu, I like you to meet Nashi" Lucy said as she lightly nudged the pink pup. "And Luke" she continued as she lightly nudged the blond pup. Before the birth, Lucy and I came up with some names and I think these names suit them perfectly.

I walk around to Lucy and nuzzled her affectionally before lowering my head to nuzzle my pups. "They're beautiful" I said as I lifted my head and then walked around to lay behind Lucy. She lovingly licked my cheek and then curled up around Nashi and Luke protectively. I almost couldn't believe it. I'm a father.

"Oi Natsu, can we come in and see the pups?" Gray asked from the entrance of the den. I looked at Lucy to see if she was ok with it and she nodded. "Sure but only a few at a time" I replied. Our den might be big but not big enough for the whole pack to fit in. Gray, Gajeel and Loke walked in and observed my pups. "At least they got Lucy's looks" Gray joked with a smirk. I playfully glared at him while the other two laughed and Lucy giggled.

"I bet my son will be as handsome as me" I bragged with my snout held high. "Let's just hope they don't have your brains" Gajeel joked, and the other two laughed. "If you're just here to insult me then you can leave" I said angrily. "Yeah, yeah" Gajeel said as he was leaving with Gray and Loke. "Your kids are cute Natsu, Lucy. You two should be proud" Loke said before leaving the den. I huffed, "at least Loke has some manners" I muttered. "You can't complain" Lucy giggled and I pouted.

Later, everyone took turns to see the new additions to the pack and then Lucy fell asleep, tired from everything that's happened today. I looked down at my pups one more time and swore that I would protect them and their mother with my life before resting my head on Lucy and falling asleep. I'm so glad I found Lucy that day at the border of Fairy Tail. It changed our lives forever and now we have our own little family to raise.