Chapter 15: The Journal

"Although I was here a short time, it was longer than I was initially planning,"

Callisto said to me as Zane and I walked her to the front door,

"My other housemates won't take too kindly to the fact that I've been accompanying vampires while I was out." She said.

"Wait...are enchantors and vampires supposed to be like enemies?" I asked.

"...Primarily. We were always taught by our elders that vampires were essentially monsters...Obviously that isn't the case with every single one of them though." She smiled sweetly as she spoke.

"It's always a pleasure having you Callisto, no matter who it bothers, you're always welcome here." Zane says to Callisto as he leads her down the stone pathway to her car.

Zane opens the door to the drivers side, but before Callisto gets in, she turns to me and says,

"You're only a monster if you act like one." She smiles at me one last time and slips into the car.

Without another word, Zane closes her door and she hurriedly pulls off onto the bumpy road, disappearing in the midst of trees.

After I can no longer hear the sound of Callisto's car, I turn to Zane and say, "I like her."

"Because she brought news to you from your father, or because of her personality?" He questioned.

I smiled and replied, "Both."

Suddenly, Benjamin appears by our side and whispers something into Zane's ear so quietly that even I couldn't hear. Zane's facial expressions changes into one that I can't quite read and he turns to me,

"Benjamin and I are going into town to take care of some business," He says, "We'll most likely be back in a few hours."

I wanted to ask him what it was that he needed to take care of, but I desired to come with him even more. Hearing from my father now left me wondering about my mother, and how she must be so distressed from my absence. I somehow felt guilty for her grief. She could've assumed the worse, that I was kidnapped or even killed. I needed to let her know that I was alright.

Despite the fact that I've massively improved with my self control, my instincts told me that now wouldn't be the right time to meet her. That didn't change the fact that I wanted her to know that there was nothing to worry about.

"Zane, can I ask you something?" I asked.

"Of course." He responded.

"I need you to tell my mother that I'm alive."

"I was saying of course to your question."

Right. With so much endlessly traveling through my mind I so easily disregard the fact that Zane can hear my thoughts.

"Why do we even verbally speak to each other? Why don't we just telecommunicate with one another?" I say jokingly.

"Because you would need to learn how to telecommunicate. Besides, I'm not in your thoughts 24/7. I can easily read your expression and assume you have a question, and that's when I listen. I try not to invade so much," He states, "I wouldn't want to know what some of you are thinking anyway." He smirks and I catch the sound of Carter's chuckle in the house.

"Tell her that as soon as I'm ready, I will come to visit her." I tell him, getting back to the topic of my mother.

"Don't worry, I'll reassure your mother that you're doing well and that you heard from your father."

"Zane.." Benjamin says behind him.

Zane nods at Benjamin and turn towards me to say, "Like I said, we'll be back here in a few hours. Do me a favor and keep Morgan and Carter under control while I'm gone?"