20 - Tom

Chris had told me over and over again that I'd been an idiot and I couldn't believe he was taking her side after what she'd done. Yea I had photoshoots and scenes in movies but those had been my choice, this hadn't been. I felt violated.

She couldn't even admit she'd done it either, that made it worse. There was no one else that could've taken them. Why couldn't she just admit it?

Pulling up in front of Eliza's shop I put on my happy face and get out. I hated that this had happened. I'd been so sure she was different but I'd been wrong before. It hurt more than I wanted to admit and I refused to let her see me hurt at all.

I wave at Katy as I walk through, heading for the steps as if nothing had changed. The walk up the stairs was harder than I thought it'd be. I knock on the top door at the top and push it open slowly.

"I'll be out in a minute." She calls from the bedroom.

I stay by the door with my hands in my pockets, not wanting to go any further into the room than I strictly had to. I didn't have to wait for long.

She steps out of her bedroom and despite my anger at her I am speechless. She was beautiful, absolutely stunning. Her dress was simple but elegant and my hands itched to reach for her but I keep them firmly in my pockets. She doesn't even look up at me as she walks to the table and collects the small black bag sitting there.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." She says finally looking up at me.

Her eyes betray nothing and despite myself I'm disappointed. She was back behind her wall I'd been go glad had finally come down only days before. She didn't look upset but she didn't smile either.

"You look...stunning." I say grudgingly.

"Thank you. You look very debonair yourself. We can go now, I'm sure we're both ready to get tonight over with."

She crosses the room and stops in front of me. She was wearing makeup and had left her curls down, my hands again itched to reach out and touch her. She however looked like she didn't know me from Adam and it stung. I just had to keep telling myself it was for the best.

"Are we going to go?" She asks raising an eyebrow.

"What?" I ask confused.

"You're blocking the door."

"Oh."

I open the door and expect her to hold out her hand like she'd done before we'd tried being more but she doesn't.

"After you." I say and step to the side to let her go first.

I'd never had a more uncomfortable car ride in my life. But as we got closer her wall started seeming to dissolve and by the time we got out of the car she was smiling as if nothing had changed and took my hand when I offered it getting out of the car.

Walking along the row of cameras we stop every few feet and smile for the cameras. A few reporters stood on the red carpet with us and asked questions as we passed. Most asked about the movie and what I had next but a couple asked her about her books and when her next one would be released.

The comment that hurt the most was the suggesting we were the new power couple in the industry. Our act must've been convincing because no one seemed to notice. If she ever wanted to get into acting she was a natural.

Finally making it to the end of the red carpet we head inside. There were still cameras in here but not as many and I could breathe a small sigh of relief. I expected her to drop my hand but she doesn't. There were more than just the cast and crew at these events, it was a night of networking and trying to line up future gigs.

Chris spots us and walks over with Elsa in tow. He was worried about me I knew but there wasn't anything to be done about it. She'd broken my trust and continued to deny it. All that was left to do was to move forward. I hadn't expected to have anything come of this and now nothing would.

"You look nice Eliza." Chris says smiling at her pulling her into a hug.

The change in her smile was faint but I could see it none the less. Her eyes sparkled more and for a moment I was jealous.

"Thank you. You clean up nicely Chris. Elsa you look absolutely radiant."

"Thank you dear. You didn't tell us you were a best-selling author." Elsa replies. "I've read all of your books."

"Really?" Eliza asks, genuinely surprised.

"Really. They're amazing. Have you ever thought about getting them to the big screen?"

"No, I've had people show interest but I haven't entertained any yet. I want to get the series done before that."

"Hey Sophie." Elsa calls.

Benedict and Sophie walk over and the ladies exchange hugs, including Eliza. It felt weird to be on the outside of my own friend group.

"Eliza you look amazing. I love that dress." Sophie says.

They start talking about her books, who would be good to get to write the screenplay and possible directors. It was the first time she seemed uncomfortable since he'd picked her up. Why would talking about it make her uncomfortable when she was the one told the press about it to begin with?

She'd let go of my hand when they started talking about it, preferring to wrap her arms loosely around her stomach and I knew she was far out of her comfort zone. She'd helped me several times in similar circumstances but when I tried to pull her to me she shied away. Not as badly as the first time but enough that it broke my heart again.

Sleeping together had ruined even our friendship and I wasn't ready to fully process that yet. It was a loss I hadn't been prepared to have, and it hurt worse than I cared to admit.