33 - Eliza

I knew Tom was worried about me but he didn't need to be. What had happened with Jeff all those years ago was in the past. I still had the metaphorical scars from it but the wounds were completely healed. Seeing him again had been an unwelcome surprise but I knew he'd show up again at some point, that's why I still carried the order with me everywhere I went.

We'd given our statements after the signing had ended, Cavill making me promise to message him after Tom and I had our talk. I'd asked Tom to come back to my hotel with me and we spent the rest of the night just holding each other until we fell asleep. I didn't even text or call Katy before we fell asleep. I knew I had to tell him about it this morning once we got around. I still had to tell him I was pregnant now too.

As we finished up breakfast I knew it was time.

"I want to tell you about what happened with Jeff. I'm sure you have questions." I say as he joins me on the couch after putting the room service tray outside the door.

"I just want to know you're okay. That had to be difficult." He says linking his fingers through mine.

"I'm fine. I started dating Jeff at the beginning of my senior year; he'd graduated three years earlier. I was much like I am now; I didn't go out to parties or anything like that but I wasn't a saint. I'd had sex before and he didn't like that I wouldn't sleep with him.

"I did finally break up with him shortly before Spring Break. My graduating class had planned a huge bonfire out on one of the popular kid's farms, the parents all knew about it and mine reluctantly let me go. Katy was supposed to go with me but decided last minute she didn't want to go; I went anyway."

"You don't have to tell me all this if you don't want to."

"It's alright, it doesn't hurt anymore."

"I bet his face and shoulder do." He says, making us both laugh.

"Anyway, Jeff showed up, though I still don't know how he even knew about it, and begged me to take him back; I declined. I'm guessing he slipped something in my drink because the next thing I remember was waking up naked behind the hay barn.

"I called Katy and she came and got me and took me to the hospital for a rape test; he had not been gentle. I filed a police report, he was arrested and judge issued a temporary protection order based off the...damage he'd inflicted.

"Once he got out on bail, he started harassing me. Two weeks later my period was late and found out I was pregnant. A week later he'd cornered me and Katy while we were out. Katy ran to get help when he started hitting me but by the time help got there it'd been too late. He'd broken several ribs and my nose and jaw, and I'd miscarried.

"The judge issued the permanent order you saw yesterday and I've carried it every day since though I hadn't seen or even heard from him again after that night. Katy and I moved to New York after graduation and I took every self-defense class I could find after I healed."

He was quiet for a long moment and I hoped I hadn't scared him.

"You're such a strong woman Eliza." He says finally, pulling me in for a hug. "Can I ask something? You don't have to answer it if you don't want to."

"You can ask anything you like Tom."

"Is this why the dream you had of us freaked you out so badly?" He asks barely above a whisper.

"Are you asking if you're the first person I've slept with since then?" I tease.

"I guess."

"Yes, you're the first person I'd slept with since then. I'd gone on a few dates before I met you, mainly to get Katy off my back, but I just didn't want to in intimate with anyone. I focused on my writings and the shop and that'd been enough for me."

"So why me?"

"You made a part of me feel alive again that I thought I'd simply lost all those years ago. You made me feel like it was worth getting hurt again to be able to feel something like that again, even if it only lasted for a couple days. I hadn't planned on falling in love with you." I answer honestly.

"I've never felt as alone as I did when you left New York without a word and then wouldn't answer my calls or texts. Then I saw the article about your lunch with Cavill... I thought I'd truly lost you and I knew I had no one to blame but myself. I was horrible to you that morning and you still held up your end of our first agreement coming with me to the wrap party. When you wouldn't let me help you when you were anxious I knew I'd lost my friend too."

"I never stopped loving you, I was just hurt and being stubborn. I certainly wouldn't have moved on that quickly either. I'm afraid you've set a high bar for me and I don't think there's anyone who could reach it, not even Superman."

"I don't plan on giving anyone a chance to try. As long as you'll have me I'm not going anywhere."

"We didn't talk much about a future before. Now that I'm done with the book tour I guess I'm curious where we go from here."

"I don't have anything for a while either. Did you have something in mind? We could go back to New York if you want or anywhere really. I just want to be near you."

"Before we start making those kinds of plans I have to tell you something. You might not feel the same afterwards."

"What do you mean?"

"You said you saw Henry and I at dinner?"

"I did. You were breathtaking, guess that's why I assumed it'd be a date date."

"Thank you. But I almost hadn't gone. I'd spent that morning throwing up and feeling exhausted. I'd assumed it was just my body telling me I'd pushed it too far but then..."

"You were sick? Are you feeling okay now?"

"I'm a little tired but otherwise I feel fine. But what I'd realized was that I'd missed my period."

"What are you saying? Are you pregnant?"

"The test I had Shelly bring me was positive."