48 - Tom

I was in the kitchen, banging pots around trying to sound like I was busy while I waited for the knock at the door. It was all I could do not to start laughing. I was excited to see Eliza's reaction to her surprise visitor. Katy hadn't been very happy when I told her Eliza's parents would be at Christmas Lunch as well but she knew Eliza wouldn't have agreed if she didn't want them there.

A soft knock at the door peaks Bobby interest as he barks quietly. He didn't take off for the door immediately like he usually did, instead staying with Eliza on the couch.

"Darling, would you mind terribly getting that?" I call.

"Sure. Do you need any help in there?" She calls back.

"No I'm just about done for the moment."

I hear her pad barefoot down the hall, Bobby's nails clicking along with her and I make my way to the side of the kitchen so I can see the front door. She pulls it open and gives a little shriek covering her mouth with her hands. Bobby pushes in front of Eliza, clearly unsure if that was a good shriek or not but being ready to pounce if he needed to.

"Katy! What? How are you here?" She finally says opening the door fully.

Bobby moves to the side letting Katy take a step inside. She drops her suitcases on the floor and holds her arms out. Eliza steps in, wrapping her arms around Katy as well as they start jumping and shrieking. I can't help but start laughing.

"You did this didn't you." Eliza says turning towards me after they separate, hands on her hips.

"Guilty love, but it was all her idea. I just went along with it."

Eliza shuts the door behind them and I walk into the hallway. I kiss Eliza gently and look at Katy. The last time I saw her she wasn't very happy with me but I thought we'd patched it all up now. She was actually smiling and meeting my gaze so I took that as a good sign.

"Let's get these up to your room." I say picking up Katy's suitcases, "Then you ladies can catch up."

"Thank you Tom. This is a wonderful surprise." Eliza says, pulling me down by the front of my shirt to kiss me thoroughly.

"I'd say get a room but you might take me up on it." Katy laughs.

"To be continued." Eliza whispers against my lips and I was very tempted to take Katy up on it anyway. "Come on Bobby lets show Katy Bug her room."

"She's in the room on the other side of the nursery." I say as the girls start up the stairs ahead of me.

"How close is that to your guys room? I'm not sure I want to be in earshot of yall after the lights go out tonight." Katy teases and Eliza glances over her shoulder at me blushing.

"Fair enough." I wink at Eliza, knowing very well that if we hadn't had company it wouldn't have been safe during daytime hours either.

"So did you find the movie for tonight?" Katy asks me as Eliza takes us into the guest room furthest from ours.

"I did. Hot chocolate and kettle corn stocked as well." I laugh as Eliza looks between us, lips pursed.

"You two really have been in cahoots!" She accuses, hands on her hips.

"We have. With the shop shut down until after the new year what else was I supposed to do but come visit my pregnant sister from another mister? And don't worry Corey is taking care of Sarge and the boys while I'm away too."

"Well I'm certainly not going to complain."

"Good cause it wouldn't do you any good even if it did. So your parents are here too?"

"They are. I still can't believe my dad willingly got on a plane. Lunch went pretty well towards the end. Taking dad to the Sherlock Holmes museum was a big hit I think."

"I'm sure it was." Katy laughs, "The house looks amazing by the way, what I've seen of it anyway."

"Come on, I'll give you a tour. Wait until you see the nursery! We haven't painted yet but we did get the paint yesterday."

"I'll leave you two ladies to it." I say, kissing Eliza softly on the forehead, "I'll be downstairs if you need me."

"I always need you dear."

"As I do you darling."

"You two are sickening sweet, you know that?"

"I'll take that as a compliment." I say winking at her before heading back downstairs.

My phone starts ringing in my pocket as I make it to the bottom of the stairs and I smile when I see the name.

"Merry Christmas brother."

"Merry Christmas brother." Chris echoes. "How's Eliza doing?"

"She's doing good. Her best friend just got here so they're upstairs catching up."

"Elsa is loving all the pictures you two are sharing. Which brings me to why I'm calling. We've talked with the rest of the family and we were wondering if you two would be up for joining us for New Year's Eve."

"When you say the rest of the family who all are you talking about?"

"Everyone. We're all either already here in London or will be arriving in the couple of days. Elsa wanted to just come by early and surprise you guys but I thought I'd give you a heads up. You've missed the last couple Marvel Family New Year's Eve Elsa has put together so she's really hoping you will come to this one."

I remembered the stories I'd heard over the years and couldn't believe I hadn't thought about it sooner. It was just like Elsa to do this one where I was so I had no reason not to make it this time.

"I'll talk it over with Eliza in a few minutes but I doubt she'll say no. You guys are more than welcome to come by."

"Great!"

"Hey, is RDJ going to this party?"

"Yea, he and Susan should be arriving later today with Exton and Avri. Why?"

"Eliza's father is in town and he's a huge fan."

"Well bring them along if you want. It is a family thing after all and since you're popping the question tomorrow they'll officially be family as well."

I look around to make sure Eliza hadn't appeared somewhere and overheard even though I knew she was still upstairs with Katy. Lunch with her parents had accomplished something at least. When the girls had gone to the restroom I'd had the perfect opportunity to tell her dad. Eliza didn't seem like the kind who would appreciate me asking her father's permission, especially with how their relationship has been, so instead I just told him.

He gave his blessing anyhow but even if he hadn't I was going to ask her. I wanted her to be my wife, my partner in life. She meant the world to me and though marriage of course wasn't required in this day and age I was a bit old fashioned. Her father had asked if it was just because she was pregnant and I was happy to tell him no, I'd decided well before we'd found out she was pregnant. All that was left to do now was ask her.