41 - Eliza

I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that my mother had told me she didn't want to see me though it really shouldn't have surprised me if I was being completely honest with myself. A part of me was expecting her to magically change and be more like Tom's mother but it'd been a fool's fantasy.

So I had an amazing boyfriend and my dreams had come true and I was truly happy for the first time ever, my mother wasn't going to be one of the mom's that would be happy about it. My new found fame had inconvenienced her and that was all she cared about. It hurt even if it wasn't something new for her.

I felt ashamed, like it was somehow my fault that she was the way she was and that made me mad. I was not going to let her attitude about all of this change anything for me. I've lived the last fifteen years without her in my corner; I didn't need her or her approval of my life choices.

We were sitting outside in the garden now. He was reading and playing with Bobby while I tried to work on my book but the more I tried the more frustrated I got. I just wasn't in the right headspace to be writing right now.

"What do you want to go do darling?" He asks as I put my pen down for the third time in less than a minute.

"That obvious huh?" I chuckle. "I think I remember you offering to take me sightseeing."

"Of course love. Anywhere in particular?"

"You're the tour guide. I don't know much about London aside from Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace; oh and Big Ben and the Needle."

"Trafalgar Square is always a tourist favorite and there's several places we could go see if you're up for some walking."

"Sounds good to me. Maybe it will give me some ideas for Jaime's backstory."

I needed to get out of my head for a while and seeing the sights with Tom sounded like fun. I'd seen plenty of movies that took place in London but never thought I'd actually be here to see them.

It was just a short tube ride and then a short walk to Trafalgar Square. It had been a rainy morning but now it had dried up though it was still very cloudy. This is how most Americans think the weather in London always is and I absolutely loved it.

"So what do you think?" Tom asks as we stop beside a huge fountain.

"It's beautiful!" I breathe.

There was just something about how they built older buildings I'd always found fascinating, the older they were the better. A tall pillar with a statue on top was in the middle of the plaza and was being guarded by four lion statues. Two large fountains near the base of the pillar had several people gathered around them, many taking pictures and chattering happily. The buildings on the edge of plaza were gorgeous and I could see the top of Big Ben over the tops of the roofs behind us.

There were more tourists here and though I heard our names whispered several times while we stood there but I didn't care. A couple street musicians were scattered around the outer edges of the plaza trying to entice the tourist into sparing them some change and a few minutes of their day. It reminded me of my hometown in a way but this was much more beautiful.

I could feel Tom watching me as I took everything in. I knew I was smiling like an idiot but I didn't care, this had been a great idea. The fact I was standing here with Tom made it so much better and I was glad I'd waited until now to visit. Pulling my phone out of my pocket I snap a few pictures of the plaza and turn to Tom smiling.

"What's that building?" I ask.

I resembled the capital buildings in the states, front lined with columns and a large silver dome graced the top of the two stories but it was much longer than the buildings across the pond. The steps in front had people steaming in and out of the building while smaller groups and couples sat on them.