Part 6

"I love you so much, baby. I miss you already." Stevie held Harry close, the boy's arms wrapped around her neck tightly. "I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Okay." Harry awarded her with a wide grin, which resembled Lindsey's. He held up his small hand, making sure he was showing the right amount of fingers. "Five sweeps away."

"Yes! Oh, you're so smart, aren't you? Five sleeps and I'll see you again." Pressing a big kiss to Harry's cheek, Stevie handed him over to Lindsey, who was patiently awaiting his turn to say goodbye.

"You be good to your Aunt Lori, yeah?" Unexpectedly a little teary-eyed, Lindsey hugged Harry to his chest, running his hand up and down the boy's back. "Mommy and I will miss you so much."

Against her better judgement, Stevie wrapped her arm around Lindsey as she came to stand beside him, combing her fingers through Harry's curls. "Do as Aunt Lori says, baby. Remember to say, please, and, thank you."

"Oh God." Lori interrupted. "He's the best behaved 3-year-old I've ever encountered, Stevie."

"I know." Stevie smiled, kissing Harry's cheek again, before Lindsey lowered him down on the floor. 

"Come on, darling." Lori took Harry by the hand and turned to leave.

"Bye bye, Mamma!" Harry showed his toothy grin again. Unlike his parents, he was quite excited to be with his godmother. 

The front door closed, Stevie and Lindsey were left by themselves in the empty foyer. They grew silent. Without a second thought, Lindsey pulled Stevie into his arms and she didn't resist, holding onto him firmly. 

"That bed is going to feel awfully big for little old me." Stevie attempted to joke as she pulled back.

"I can read a bed time story for you if you like." Lindsey hugged her around the shoulders, leading their way back to Mick and John.

"Yeah, well... That could be dangerous." She replied, which surprised him. He didn't mean anything of the sort, but it was nice to know that the thought had crossed her mind.

"Tears wiped away, ready to get to work?" Mick asked, when the pair walked in.

"I don't really have a choice, do I?" Stevie shrugged, but she didn't sound too serious. 

The majority of Lindsey's songs had already been recorded prior to Stevie joining the rest of the band. All they needed were her backing vocals, but those could wait. They had a lot of work to do first, where her tracks were concerned. Having listened to the demos she'd given him, Lindsey genuinely thought she had a lot of good material. Not all of the songs were new, however, he was pleased to hear the one in particular, which they had initially recorded for Stevie's latest solo album. They hadn't discussed much, what it was about, but Lindsey had a strong feeling of when it was written at least. 

"I thought, you had decided, you didn't like it." Lindsey said, while the demo of Thrown Down, instead of the recorded version with his vocals on it, was playing for Mick and John to listen to as well.

Stevie shook her head. "I loved it. It just didn't feel right with the rest of the album. Besides, this song has to do a lot more with Fleetwood Mac."

You say you're sorry
Now you should walk away
But it's so overwhelming
You have nothing left to say

He was sorry, it was overwhelming, he didn't have anything left to say, but he did not want to walk away. Lindsey didn't think it was fair to say that no one made the decision, because Stevie did. She made that decision for herself, for him, for them. She didn't listen, she didn't want to hear anything else he wanted to say. He did fall for her again, deeply, and he wanted them to be together, he wanted for them to be a family. Leaving her at four months pregnant with his child, it was the absolute hardest thing Lindsey had ever done.

While Mick and John were listening to the lyrics, to the melody, Lindsey kept his eyes on Stevie. They'd worked on this song together once before, but it wasn't any easier to have it brought back again. She was doing alright, holding his gaze, until she wasn't. She dropped her eyes to the floor and began fidgeting with her rings.

"Well, let's get right on it!" Mick clapped his hands together, distracting the two ex-lovers from their heartbreaking past.