Part 20

The last thing Lindsey wanted to do was leave the comfortable bubble he and Stevie had created for themselves. However, Kristen's parents were coming for a visit and she insisted he be home for that. She wasn't about to let him ruin the perfect family image that she so desperately tried to maintain. Lindsey hated it every single time that he had to sit through those awkward dinners, having to listen to his wife and mother-in-law talk nonstop, while Kristen's father glared at him with narrowed eyes. He often thought of Stevie's parents during those moments, how completely different - warm and welcoming - they were to him.

"Lindsey's now sadly away most of the time." He came back to the present, hearing his name, Kristen's hand resting over his. "He's working on a new album"

"Oh, with that band?" Kristen's mother barely glanced at Lindsey. He fought back against rolling his eyes, that band. That band, which was still highly relevant decades after their peak success. That band, which gave Kristen the life most people could only dream about. 

"Yes, with Fleetwood Mac." Lindsey replied, wondering how much longer he was going to be forced to be there. 

"I've always wondered." The older woman began, taking a sip of her wine. "Isn't it awkward being a part of something like that with your ex? I mean, I'm sure you're alright, Lindsey, but that poor woman?" Lindsey gritted his teeth. "It must be incredibly difficult, seeing someone you've loved for a long time, now be happily married."

Kristen shot him a look, indicating that he should keep his mouth shut. "Actually, Stevie and I haven't been in such a good place for a long time. Things are going really well."

"Oh? I've always thought that she's very difficult to deal with. My way or the highway, that sort of person."

Lindsey clenched his fist, taking a deep breath. "Well, you don't know her, do you? You can't decide, what a person is like based on someone else's opinion." He shrugged, picking up his scotch glass. Feeling the burning stare from Kristen, Lindsey continued. "I think, some people could learn a lot from Stevie."

"I don't think that we should be talking about her." Kristen spoke up. "There are other, more pleasant topics." She said, downing a large gulp of her wine. 

Lindsey grew quiet after that and he didn't see a point in opening his mouth again, until he had decided that he had had enough, got up and walked away. Kristen thought if he had maybe gone to the bathroom, but after an hour or so later, she realized that was not the case. They were definitely going to talk later, she thought. 

Meanwhile, Lindsey sulked in his studio. He didn't want to be there. He didn't feel comfortable in his own home. He was happy about spending time with his kids, but otherwise, he wanted to leave. Knowing that Stevie had gone home for the night as well, he picked up the phone and dialed her number. After a few rings, her voice reached his ears and he immediately relaxed.

"Not having a lot of fun?"

Lindsey sighed. "None at all. What are you up to?"

"Nothing much." Stevie replied. "I put Harry to bed some time ago, Lori and I are just enjoying a quiet night now."

"Has she managed to shit all over me yet?" Lindsey asked, bouncing his knee. He wasn't going to say it out loud, but he was slightly worried, given how the last time went Stevie was with Lori.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, Linds, but you haven't come up once. We do have other things to talk about, you know."

"I miss you." He said. "I can't wait to see you again."

"We saw each other in the morning."

"Ages ago."

Stevie smiled, hearing him say that. "I might be missing you a little, too."

"And I love you." Before Stevie could reply, Lindsey heard someone clear their throat loudly behind him. He swallowed uneasily. "Good night, buddy. I miss you so much, sleep tight."

Stevie understood as she hung up the phone without saying anything back. "It's rude to listen on other people's conversations."

"Oh? I thought, you were talking to your son." Kristen raised an eyebrow, arms folded over her chest.

"What, he isn't a person?" Lindsey responded without hesitating. "What do you want?"

"It's rude, walking out like you did."

He sighed. "Yeah, well, I wasn't having a very good time."

"They're my parents, Lindsey." Kristen pointed out as if he didn't know. "I don't want to answer any questions."

"It's not me, who's trying to pretend that our marriage is perfect." He shrugged, turning away from his wife. 

"Why don't you just leave then? Why don't you divorce me if it's so horrible being married to me?" Kristen asked, clearly annoyed. "But if you decide to, you can forget about seeing your kids again."

"Don't make me laugh." Lindsey replied calmly. "And don't threaten me."

"I'm telling you-"

"You can tell me whatever the hell you want, Kristen, you can't do shit. You won't take my children away from me."

She stayed silent for a minute, before speaking up again. "Has she lured you into her bed already? I mean, I'm sure she has a lot more experience than I do, but-"

"Shut up." Lindsey cut her off. "Do not go there."

"She wants you, because she can't have you." Kristen said, then added before leaving. "The second you're free, she'll want nothing to do with you."