Chapter Eight: The Midnight Duel

Harry had never believed he would meet a more annoying bully than Dudley, but that was before he met Draco Malfoy. It was hard to avoid him when they shared a dormitory and almost all there classes together. Something that brightened up Harry's day however was a notice pinned near the common room mantle piece. Flying lessons would be starting on Monday-and Gryffindor and Slytherin would be learning together. Harry had been looking forward to learning to fly more than anything else, and to do it with Ron and Neville will be amazing.

'Going to make a fool of yourself on a broomstick Potter?'

'Actually Malfoy, my friends say I am pretty good.'

'I wouldn't take a Weasleys word as good judgment.'

'Buzz off Malfoy.'

'You ain't the boss of me Potter. I will see you in class.'

As Harry headed to breakfast with his acquaintance Terence Higgs, he thought about what Drago said. He didn't think he would make a fool of himself at flying, but Malfoy certainly did talk about flying a lot. He complained loudly about how first-years never getting in the house Quidditch teams and told long, boastful stories which always seemed to end with him narrowly escaping Muggles in helicopters.

Everyone in his dorm talked about Quidditch constantly. What team was everyone's favourite and what moves they wish they could pull off. Sirius had wanted to teach Harry and Canini how to fly since they could walk, but Remus just would not risk either if there safety or exposing them to the muggles in the neighbourhood, so Sirius had only ever gotten a few lessons in him and his brother.

As Harry and Terence entered the hall Harry learned that Hermoine was very nervous about flying. This was something you couldn't learn from a book-not that she hadn't tried. He over heard her boring the other Gryffindors with stupid flying tips she'd gotten out of a library book called Quidditch Though the Ages. As Harry passed he could see Neville hanging on her every word.

As Harry and Terence started eating he decided to ask Terence about himself.

'So, where are you from Terence?'

His thick Irish accent told Harry where in the Uk, but not what part of Ireland, and it was only polite to ask.

'I'm from Cork, that's in the southern part of the island. Did you know we were the first town in Ireland to hold a Quidditch game, I really hope I get a spot on our team.'

'You play?'

'Yeah, I think I'm pretty good too. I tried out for Seeker, but there is also a Chaser opening so I'd settle for that.'

'There are only two openings? Do you really think a second year can make it?'

'Well after last years victory Marcus Flint says he will only take the best of the best this year so we can try and win again. I have been training to be a Seeker every single day since I learned how to fly this time last year, I can only hope I've practiced hard enough to meet his standards. He is posting the results tomorrow.'

'Well I hope you get it than.'

'Thank Harry.'

Harry watched out of the corner of his eye Malfoy approaching the Slytherin table, but than detouring and making a malicious looking detour to the Gryffindor table. Malfoy snatched something from Neville, and despite being now in two different houses both Harry and Ron jumped to there feet. Professor McGonagall must be able to spot trouble faster than any teacher because by the time Harry was by Neville's side so was she.

'What's going on?'

'Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor.'

Scowling, Malfoy quickly dropped the Remembeall back on the table.