Chapter Nine: Hallowe'en

The next morning Harry awoke to two letters. One from Sirius asking how the duel went to which Harry responded that Malfoy was a no show but left out the detail about the three headed dog, and than the second was from Neville thanking him for getting the Remembrall back. Harry was still shaken about what they found behind that door and decided to find Terence at breakfast and fill him in on how Hagrid knew something about the Gringotts robbery and how there was a three headed dog and it was guarding something. At first Terence was still pretending to be mad at him, but after mentioning the three headed dog he dropped the facade.

'Wait, so the reason they're banning the third floor right corridor is off limits is because there is a cerberian hell-hound in there.'

'Yeah, and it is guarding a trap door.'

'What do you think's below it?'

'Not sure, it is either something super big, valuable, or dangerous.'

'Or all three.'

But all they really knew was that it most likely came from the vault that was robbed on his birthday. From that broad information they didn't have much chance of guessing what it was without further clues.

Neither Tracey, or Allison seemed to show the slightest interest of finding out what lay beneath the dog and the trap door. Theodore showed a little curiosity, but insisted he had to focus on homework instead of the mystery.

This was fine because all Harry wanted now was a way to get back at Malfoy, and to his delight, just such a thing arrived a week later.

As the owls flooded into the Great Hall as usual, everyone's attention was caught at once by a long thin package carried by six large owls including Hedwig and Phasming. Harry watched as the owls soared down and dropped it right in front of him, knocking his bacon to the floor. They had hardly fluttered out of the way when Phasming dropped a letter on top of the parcel.

Harry ripped open the letter first, it read:

"Harry, me, Sirius, and Canini are so proud of you making Seeker for your team. The parcel contains a picture of James and Sirius playing quidditch during our Hogwarts years as well as a Nimbus Two Thousand. Canini remembered you looking at it and we decided to treat you for getting on the team. Don't let this all go to your head though, stay humble. We love you.

Your family"

Harry has trouble hiding his glee as he handed the note to Terence to read.

'No, A Nimbus Two Thousand!' Terence said excitedly. 'I've only ever seen one in stores, my parents only got me a Comet Two Sixty.'

They left the hall quickly, Ron saw the package come down and raised after them to see what was going on. Wanting to unwrap the broomstick in private before their lesson, but halfway down the stairs they were stopped by the scruff of there collars by Crabbe and Goyle. They dragged them back upstairs where Malfoy seized the package from Harry and felt it.

'That's a broomstick,' he said, throwing it back at Harry with a mixture of jealousy and spite on his face.

Terence couldn't help brag at Malfoy. 'It ain't any old broomstick, it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you got at home Malfoy, a showy Comet Two Sixty?'

'Last I checked that's what you have two Higgs.'

Ron stepped up, 'But neither are as good as Harry's, man a real Nimbus.'

'How would you know it's real Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle,' Malfoy snapped back. 'I suppose you and your brothers have to save up, twig by twig.'

Before Ron could respond, Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's elbow.

'Not arguing, I hope, boys?' he squeaked.