Chapter two: The Week of Celebration

Harry and his family had a wonderful afternoon and evening. They went to celebrate by eating lunch at the Leaky Cauldron than went to Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour so Harry could get a strawberry-and-peanut-butter sundae to share with Canini, while Sirius and Remus split a Earl Grey & Lavender with toffee sauce. The parlour had been busy but Florean Fortescue himself served Harry's family's order personally and congratulated him on getting into Hogwarts and gave his order half-off. While they were in Diagon Alley Sirius decided to buy Harry his books as a present for good marks in his old muggle school and for receiving his letter which Harry greatly appreciated.

That evening Ron, Susan, and even Neville all flooed to the Leaky Cauldron to meet up and talk about how excited they were about there letters before heading to the Warner West End cinema to watch Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Although his friends didn't quite understand what a movie was they all had a good time and even Neville went home happily.

Even though the day ended with Sirius flying Harry back to the Dursley's in his invisible motorcycle, Harry felt like it had been one of the best days of his life. Sirius landed and parked the bike in front of the house and when Harry got out, so did Sirius. Not sure what was going on Harry stood there and waited until Sirius was standing in front of him. Sirius looked at Harry and put his hand on his shoulder.

'Harry, you know how proud we are of you, right.'

Not expecting that Harry just responded with what first came to mind.

'Yes, I mean yeah, of course. Why?'

'Well, its just that Remus pointed out to me yesterday about just how much you have been growing, and I realized you are becoming a kind and smart young man who to me was only an infant yesterday.'

'Paddy.'

Harry embarrassedly complained.

'It's true though my growing Stag, you have grown so much. I wanted to tell you this because I know you don't hear it here, and I know hard days are coming as you start your journey at Hogwarts. But the more I see James and Lily in you, the more I know you will be as brave and powerful as they were. You will be doing great things soon, I just know it.'

Tears were starting to form both of there eyes. Harry wasn't sure why Sirius was telling him this, but it made him feel loved.

'Thank you Sirius. I don't always say that, even when I should. I-'

But Harry just couldn't think of what to say. So Sirius just pulled him in for a hug than messes up his already messy hair and pushed him towards the Dursley's.

'I love you too kid. Remember, we're attending the Dora's graduation party next Sunday, don't blow up your Cousin in the meantime.'

'No promises.'

With that Sirius got back in his motorcycle and disappeared into the night and Harry just entered the Dursley's with his new books and a new sense of determination to make his family proud.

The week past mostly uneventfully. Harry spent most his days either bicycling and playing in the nearby park, avoiding Dudley and his gang, or trying to read his schoolbooks. The first chapter or so of each book was easy enough for Harry and taught him a lot, but without being allowed to actually practice what it said, or having the extra instructions from his soon to be professors, after chapter two most of the books made no sense to Harry, but he read them all the same.

Harry sent a lot of late night owls to all his friends, and with some careful calculations he managed to secretly have Ron over for a half an hour. He knew that Vernon was at work all day from ten to six, and that Petunia was taking Dudley out to visit the campus of Smeltings Academy for an hour to get Dudley familiar, so there was the perfect little window of time for Ron to floo over. They mostly just talked and fooled around and discussed what his two oldest brothers were doing now, and at the very end Harry returned Ron his book. Harry just barely got the floo dust sweeped and disposed of before Petunia walked in.