Chapter one: The Boy Who Lived

The sun rose on the tidy front garden and lit up the brass number four on the Dursley's front door the morning Harry got his letter. Harry knew that the letter would be coming soon, but his guardian uncles never told him what day it would arrive so that it would be a surprise. For Harry the day would end excitedly, but the morning started as the previous day had ended.

School had just ended and Harry was staying the summer with his aunt Petunia and her husband and son Vernon and Dudley Dursley, as he did every summer since he started school. He knew there was a reason he had to spend so much time a year with his biological family, but whenever he asked Sirius, his Godfather, he always answered the same way.

'It's what your mother would have wanted.'

Harry Potter was an orphan, his parents were killed sometime in the Wizarding War, and he had since been raised by his Godfather Sirius Black, his Father's friend and Godfather's husband Remus Lupin, and his adopted little brother Canini Howling, which he already missed even if he was annoying. Harry, his parents, and his adopted family were magical, and his aunts family was not, that was what lead to the fiasco that was Dudley's eleventh birthday yesterday.

For Dudley's birthday, along with forty presents, the Dursley's had decided to go to the Farnham Zoo. They took Dudley's best friend Piers Polkiss, a black haired boy like Harry, but unlike Harry he was a bully, and unlike Harry, Dudley wanted Piers there.

Yesterday he had a relatively good time. He had a quite drive there, kept his distance from Dudley and Piers which was best for everyone involved, and got to see a lot of cool animals he had only ever read about in his primary school. He even got the Dursley's to reluctantly buy him a Lemon ice lolly and a knickerbocker glory, which he liked very much.

Yes, the Zoo visit had gone very well, until it wasn't. After lunch Dudley and Piers had begun to get very bored with all the animals and Petunia decided to take them to the reptile house in hopes that they would enjoy that more. And for a while they did, the huge poisonous cobras and thick man-crushing pythons entertained them a little, but they weren't doing anything so there wasn't much to watch.

On the other side of one of the glass walls was an enormous Boa Constrictor that was seemingly fast asleep, so Dudley bashed on the glass trying to stir it, but it remained motionless.

'This is boring.'

Dudley moved on but Harry had moved in front of the glass to look at the giant of a snake. Harry pitied the snake as he thought about how it had no company except stupid people banging on the glass, and that it had no where to move. Quietly Harry said, 'Sorry about him, he doesn't understand he's just another rude person you see everyday.'

And to Harry's bewilderment the snake opened his eyes and raised his head to Harry's level. The snake than looked at the Dursley's a few windows down, than back at Harry, rolled his eyes, and than in his mind Harry heard, 'I get that all the time.'

'Wow,' Harry said silently. He knew he was magical, and that sometimes things happened even if he didn't mean to, like how fast his hair grew, or the time he turned his fifth year teachers uniform bright pink, but he had never been able to understand animals before. His Godfather Sirius could roughly understand animals in his Scottish Deerhound form, but Harry was not an animagus, this was something new.

Harry thought he should ask it cool questions about being a snake, but all that came out was, 'Where are you from?'

The majestic beast pointed the tip of its tale at a sign to the left of Harry, at the top it read, 'Boa Constrictor, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil.'

'Was it nice there, do you miss it?'

The Constrictor lowered his head and pointed at the sign again. This time Harry read the little writing at the very bottom, 'This specimen was born in captivity, June 15th, 1985.'