Chapter Ten: Quidditch

As they moved into November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains surrounding the school became icy grey and the lake chilled like steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from upstairs windows, defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch pitch, bundle up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit-fur gloves and enormous beaver skin boots.

The Quidditch season had begun. On Saturday, Harry would be playing in his first match after weeks of training: Slytherin versus Gryffindor. If Slytherin won, they would move up into second place in the House Championship.

Hardly anyone had seen Harry play because the team decided to keep the fact that there Seeker was the boy who lived a secret, to be a surprise when he walked on the field. But like many secrets everyone in the entire school knew he was playing Seeker and people kept approaching him. Harry didn't know what was worse-people telling him he'd be brilliant or people telling him they'd be running around underneath him, holding a mattress.

It was really lucky that Harry now had Theodore as a friend. He didn't know how he'd have gotten through all his homework without him, after saving his life he had become a little more kind and a lot more helpful.

Harry had barrowed Quidditch Through the Ages, from the library and it so far had been very interesting. Harry learnt that there were seven hundred ways of committing a Quidditch foul and that all of them had happened during a World Cup in 1473; that the most serious Quidditch accidents seemed to happen to them; that although people rarely died playing Quidditch, referees had been known to vanish and turn up months later in the Sahara Desert.

The day before Harry's first Quidditch match he and Theodore were studying in the common room when Snape walked through the enchanted wall. Gemma had a serious question for him so he walked across the room to speak with her, but as he did Harry noticed that he was limping. When he was out of earshot, while still starring at his leg, Harry leaned over to whisper in Theodore's ear.

'Did you notice that limp?'

'Yeah, he's been limping for about two weeks, have you not noticed?'

'No, he's always at his desk by the time I arrive in class.'

Theodore got back to his studies, but Harry continued to think about the leg, so much so he didn't realize Snape had finished with Gemma and was now standing in front of him.

'You know that it is impolite to stare Mr. Potter.'

Snapped out of it Harry looked straight up at Snape's oily face.

'Yes sir, sorry sir.'

Snapped whipped around and started heading for the exit, but Harry could hear him speak under his breath, 'Insolent child.'

Theodore was now the one to stare at Snape's leg as he walked away.

'I wonder what happened to his leg?'

'Whatever it is I hope it's painful.' said Harry bitterly.

The Slytherin common room was somewhat noisy that evening. Tracey and Allison were gossiping and chatting to Harry and Theodore by the fireplace. Despite Tracey's cheerful energy however Harry felt restless. He tried thinking of things to distract him, to take his mind off his nerves about tomorrow. So he decided to go for a walk to clear his head.

He made his way upstairs where it was a little warmer, but had ended up getting a little lost. He found himself near the staff room and thought someone in there could point him back in the direction of his common room.

He knocked on the door. There was no answer. He knocked again. Nothing.

He thought he heard sound so he just pushed the door ajar and peered inside-and a horrible scene met his eyes.