18: The Deal

Sofia felt the man's large hands tightening around her throat, her feet were kicking in the air. He squeezed tighter and tighter until she felt her vision go black.

She gasped, sitting up in bed. Her fingers grasped at hands that were not there. It took her a moment to realize she had been dreaming. Was that what full lucid dreaming felt like? She did a reality check and held her nose. She couldn't breathe, good she was awake this time.

"I hate nightmares." She moaned.

She got dressed and went out into the hallway. A fifth-year student saw her and stood up.

"When did you get back?" He demanded.

"Get back? I've been asleep!" Sofia said.

The boy shook his head and shrugged. "You better go see Riddle in his office right away. He was looking for you and you weren't in your room." He said.

"Really? Was I sleepwalking again?" Sofia asked.

The Gryffindor boy shrugged. 

She sighed and went to Riddle's office. What time was it? It wasn't locked, unlike her strange nightmare. Sofia poked her head in and saw Riddle busy writing something with his quill.

He looked up at her as she entered and put his quill down. "Come here."

"Something wrong?" She asked.

Riddle interlaced his fingers, watching her a moment before speaking, and leaned forward at his desk. "Where did you go last night?"

Sofia shrugged, "As far as I know, I never left my room."

Riddle stood up and walked around the desk. With a wave of his wand, Sofia was pulled towards him, her face landing with a thump against his chest.

Sofia's face turned red and started to pull away when he grabbed the side of her face and pushed her chin upwards and felt his hand around her throat with the other. Even though he didn't cause any pain, she pushed him away and protectively covered her throat.

"What happened?" Riddle demanded.

"What do you mean?" Sofia asked.

"You have bruises on your neck," Riddle said.

Bruises? Her strange dream came back to her. Did she injure herself while dreaming?

"Explain!" Riddle demanded.

Sofia cringed at his sharp command. "I had another strange dream, this one was different though. It felt like I was awake. I was attacked in the dream, but he was just some random guy."

"The student on guard duty insisted you never walked out of your room. Yet when I checked on you, you weren't anywhere to be seen. Also, a piece of property of mine has been stolen from my office. A piece of parchment. Know anything about that?" Riddle asked.

Sofia remembered James and his friends acting suspiciously over a blank parchment but shook her head. She was at a loss for words.

"Fine. I'll just have to keep a closer eye on you from now on. Go to the nurse and have her look at your neck," Riddle said.

He turned and went back to his desk, focusing on his paperwork.

Sofia nodded and started to head out when Riddle spoke up.

"Before you leave, go get James Potter and tell him to come and see me right now. Tell him to bring the parchment unless he wants to be expelled." Riddle said without looking up,

Sofia frowned at the command. James was going to think she sold him out. "Um... isn't he in class right now?"

"Yes, Transfiguration.  You do know where it is don't you?" Riddle asked.