20 - Secret Rendezvous

They had been settled in for a couple of weeks now without incident. The boys moved a comfortable chair in her room and insisted on watching her sleep in shifts, map in hand.

It had been James's turn when he woke her up late one night. "Sofia! Get up and get dressed!"

Sofia moaned and was about to turn over and go back to sleep when James shook her awake. "Get up!"

She sat up, rubbing her eyes.  "What time is it?"

James threw some random clothes at her and turned around. "It's almost midnight. Snivellus has managed to sneak off a lot since he arrived. I usually miss him since it's at random hours. He just left. Get up and get dressed! We're following him."

Sofia groaned but obliged. "He always goes off alone. It's his thing. Why do I have to go?."

"Because I'm supposed to keep track of you and I can't do that and follow Snivellus." James snapped.

"Fine!" Sofia said. She barely got her shirt on when James grabbed her wrist and pulled her along.

They followed Snape in the dark, trying to stay low. He led them to a secluded area with trees and brush. Snape took out a wand and waved it at an old shoe he had carried.

James chuckled. "He has a wand! Oh, he's in big trouble now."

Severus touched the shoe and vanished.

"Wait! What are you going to do?" Sofia asked.

"I'm going to end him. This is my chance to get rid of him for good! Come on!" James said.

Sofia felt a pang of sadness for Severus. "Why don't we see where he's going first. It might be important."

James rolled his eyes at Sofia's pity.  They touched the shoe and found themselves dropped just behind someone's house near some brushes.

"Ugh." Sofia groaned, feeling nauseous, "I hate portkeys."

They watched Severus knock lightly on someone's window. A light turned on and the window opened. A girl with red hair popped her head out the window with a smile.

"Oh," James said. He took one look at the girl and a dumb smile crept over his lips.

Sofia smirked at James's reaction.

Severus climbed in through the window and she carefully shut it.

"Come on," James said.

"We can't just go inside. We don't know what's going on in there. We shouldn't get involved." Sofia protested.

James shook his head and went over to the window, staying low. "All the more reason to follow."

Sofia followed him, not liking where this was going. She popped her head up. The two had left her room. James slid the window back up and went inside.

For a moment, Sofia thought of going back. She couldn't leave James though. Who knows what trouble he'd get himself into. She slid inside as she followed James down some stairs to a basement door.

James threw Sofia a mischievous look, his hand on the doorknob. She shook her head at him, but he ignored it.

James threw the door open and pulled out his wand. It slammed against the wall. "Gotcha!"

Both Severus and the red-haired girl let out a startled scream.

Severus was on his feet, his fists clenched. "James!" He roared.

The girl leaped to her feet, "Who are you two?"

Sofia held up her hands, "We're really sorry for barging in."