12: The Riddle Household

The Riddle Mansion
September 1926

Thomas saw his wife in the kitchen, a hand on her growing belly while stirring some pancake batter with the other hand. He went over and took the bowl from her.

"Here let me help." He said.

"I might be six months along but I'm not fragile," Merope said.

 "I know, but you should be resting." Thomas protested.

 "Oh, and who's going to cook for us then, you?" She asked.

"Hey now, I make great salads." He smiled.

Merope leaned against the counter, watching her husband take over the cooking.

"I have a surprise." He said.

"Oh?" She raised her eyebrows.

"To make it easier for you, I applied for help. I contacted the new Magical Assistance Office for Pureblood Families and applied for someone to come cook and clean. They can help us out with whatever we need. We just have to provide a place for them to sleep. They should arrive tomorrow." He smiled.

Merope nodded.  "It will feel weird though, having a servant."

Thomas smiled, "The Riddle mansion has always had servants. If anything, it will feel more normal."

The next morning a loud crash startled Merope awake. The sound of shouting made her rush out of bed and down the stairs. She found Thomas hiding behind the couch. He motioned her over as a plate was thrown across the room towards them.

"Stupid Wizards!" A voice from the kitchen shouted.

She joined her husband as they peeked up from the couch to get a better look.

"What type of abomination has invaded our home?" Thomas said.

Merope caught a full glimpse of what Thomas was referring to. She took one look at Thomas' frightened face and burst out laughing.

Thomas looked at Merope growing annoyed. "What is so funny?"

"That abomination is our new help. It's called a house-elf."

Thomas looked at her incredulously. "Are you joking? That giant rat is our new servant? I was expecting something more..."

"Human?" She finished.

"Yes." He said.

"Although, house-elves are usually more docile. What in the world did you do?" Merope asked.

The house-elf continued to throw and break anything he could get his hands on.

"I might have chased him around and hit him with a broom while yelling at him to get out," Thomas said.

"Well, you might try..."

She was cut off as Thomas' eyes grew twice their size. "No! No! No! Not my grandmother's fine china!"

The house-elf watched him with a sneer and snapped his fingers causing two things to happen. Thomas who had lunged at the House-elf was now dangling in mid-air, and the second thing was all of grandmother's fine china crashed to the floor in pieces.

Merope tiptoed into the kitchen as the house-elf mocked her husband.

"Stupid rat eh? How about I turn you into an ape you are filthy muggle!" The house-elf said.

"Wait! Please." Merope said and held up her hands.

"What?" The creature demanded.

"This was all a giant misunderstanding. Why don't you give my husband a chance to apologize?"

Thomas looked at her aghast. "Me? Apologize? What about my grandmother's china?"

The house-elf glowered at Thomas. Merope threw him a pleading look.

"Oh fine. I'm sorry I mistook you for a giant rat." Thomas said.

"And?" The creature demanded.

Thomas looked like he was going to insult the house-elf again.

"Thomas please!" Merope said.

Thomas sighed heavily. "I'm sorry for hitting you with a broom. It was uncalled for and not the behavior of a gentleman."

The house-elf snapped his fingers and Thomas fell to the floor with an "Oof."

Merope cringed and ran to her husband. "You okay?"

Thomas grumbled with a nod. "Fine."

"Do you have a name?" Merope asked the house-elf.

"Skull." The creature said with a snap of his fingers.

The entire kitchen was restored to normal along with grandmother's china.

Thomas got up, brushed himself off, and cleared his throat. "Welcome to the Riddle household Mr. Skull."