Chapter 5

We have been at it for weeks, three times during the week and on weekends.

We accomplished so much, and I know I'd definitely not reach this far on my own.

Liam was militant.

The way how he tutored had me fixated I was barely any help when bouncing around ideas except in Biology.

The triathlon was tomorrow and we decided to take a break this evening. My mom made us hot chocolate and we roasted marsh mellows over a hot grill on the back porch while we stared at the stars.

We didn't have any snow fall tonight. The night was clear save for a few clouds that checkered the sky.

I decided to ask him what was bothering me for the longest while.

"Why me? Why did you choose to study with me for the triathlon tomorrow?" I asked him out of genuine curiosity.

I plastered the warm marsh mellow all over the gram cracker. I loved smores.

"No reason really, I chose you cause I knew we worked well together back then as lab partners." He said with a shrug.

"And that's all there is to it?" I pressed, hoping to get a bit more.

"Could be, but time has a way of revealing all." He said almost philosophically.

"Why to do you keep up the bad boy persona at school?"

"Seem to work for me, I'm not from here and growing up my family traveled quite a bit for business. My parents moved here for a new start so I'm just doing what I can to fit in." He said as if talking out of a reverie.

"Fair enough." I said, folding my hands together. It really was cold, but some how sobering to be outside in 3 layers of clothes near to an open fire.

"Hey you two, I'm heading out to Walmart do you want anything?" My mom says leaning into through the half open doors.

"Jalapeños popcorn." I called out.

"Nachos and dip." Liam replied.

"I'll be back in forty." My mom responds finally and heads out.

My memory flashed back to our sessions and thinking about it there was hardly any time for fooling around. There were moment where there was tension but Liam played it off each time. Probably it was platonic and there wasn't anything to read into.

I went over to plug in the fairy lights since it was already after seven and went for my speaker to play music.

I played 'Arrival of the bird' since it seemed fitting.

Liam was the first to break the silence.

"To be perfectly honest I'm lying." He said, running his hands through his hair.

"Lying about what?" I asked. Waiting for his eyes to meet mine.

"I'm lying about everything." He said. His gazed finally matching mine. "I did it to spend time with you, the tutoring, the weekends, everything was so I could be around you again."

I blushed deeply. "Really?" I asked. I didn't know what else to say.

"Yeah, I liked you since we were lab partners. But after the teacher split us up there wasn't really any reason for us to interact anymore."

"The school I went to prior, use to have triathlon etc and I mentioned the idea like I said before in hopes of having a reason to be around you again." He said finally ending his rant.

"But still, why me? I'm not even top of the class. I'm like fourth at best. Behind you, Claudia and Alex." I said almost whispering.

He laughs heartily. "Claudia is a snob, her father gives her private tutors and she rubs it into everyone face about how smart she is and she's friends with Stephanie...nyeh." He shudders as if shaking off some bad juju.