Chapter 1

I woke up late, despite my alarm going off not once, not twice but thrice.

I was finally pulled to the land of the living by my mother barging into my room like a police baracade and hauled me and the duvet to the ground.

She pull the curtains and sunlight spilled in and danced across everything including me. I hissed internally.

"Nooooo...don't make me go mom, its so noisy there and the people smell." I pleaded in utter futility. I pouted my mouth and scampered back into bed. The sheets were still warm and inviting, beckoning me back for more.

"Rebecca, we'ved talked about this, that's called child neglect and the government will take you away from me. Now get your butt out of bed; I have to go to work." My mom said lovingly.

"Hmmm...Or..." My mother continued mischievously.

"Or...?" I raised my eye brows at her quizically.

"You can always go and live with your dad in Cali." She said, winking at me.

"I'd rather smother myself to death, thanks." If it was one thing my mother knew, it was the level of disliked I had for my dad and his girlfriend Wendy, Windy, Tornado or what ever her name was, I don't quite remember, my brain had a habit of deleting trash all by itself.

She made it known that she wanted me to call her "Auntie" and I scoffed at the thought. The summer I spent with them, didn't turn out so well. But you don't get to be a home wrecker and "Auntie" in the same breath. For what it's worth my half brother and I get along pretty well.

My father walked out on my mom when I was one years of age, saying he wasnt ready for a child. Then bam, nine months later he and whats her face, had a bouncing baby boy. Talk about magical U-turn.

"Ok, ok...doesn't get you out of going to school though, now get up sleepy head." She cooed.

I studied her delicate features. Her hair was in a neat pony tail and she was wearing a two piece burgundy pants suit that looked very professional. She worked as a hostess at an hotel in town and this was our typical morning banter. I know she low key liked it.

She ruffled my hair...as I dragged myself to get ready all the while frowning. Digging through my closet, I searched for something less depressing than my usual black ensemble. It was a new day, emphasized by the cicadias blaring their annoying melody against the evergreens outside.

"I can hear the wrinkles setting in, frowny the clown." My mom said after me and I rewarded her with a fake grin.

I opted for a aqua coloured v neck that brought off the hue of my skin and old navy jeans.

When I was finally through getting dressed, I ran down to the kitchen, hugged her quickly and took an uber to school because the bus was long gone.

I basically floated up the steps of the school, tripping only two times while going up. Major accomplishment if I do say so myself.

When I finally made it to my locker, I struggled to remove my books for AP bio and math.

The atmosphere in the hall was as chaotic as ever with cliques gossiping about everything I found unimportant.