Chapter 6

It was another cold day in November and the day of the triathlon had finally arrived.

I woke up earlier than usual, so I could drive slowly to school without anyone trying to run me off the road.

When I arrived, the auditorium was already buzzing with activity. The stage was set and it was going to be a battle among the four participants. Liam, Claudia, Alex and I.

I took my place adjacent to Liam since we were lined up in alphabetical order of first names. I motioned to wave at him and he didn't even blink my way. I felt a bit hurt but I shook it off.

It's show time.

The "triathlon" was a mini version in a sense, well more of a quiz.

It consisted of three subject areas; chemistry, biology and math alternated over a thirty minute period.

We were all given a buzzer, quickly briefed on the all rules and got settled in.

Let the nerd fest begin.

Moderator: "What is the most reactive element of group 1A elements?"

Alex: "Potassium."

Moderator: "Incorrect."

Liam: "Caesium."

Moderator: "Correct. One point to Liam."

Damn...they were so quick I didn't even get to blink. I just stood there looking dumb. Okay...okay, I pinched myself awake and got focused, beating myself up over one question will get me nowhere really fast.

Moderator: "What ion and complex is required at the last stage of muscle contraction?"

Claudia: "Sodium and there isn't a complex unless it binds to channel gate."

Moderator: "Incorrect"

Me: "Calcium and Calmodulin complex"

Moderator: "Correct."

Claudia flashed me a nasty glance but I ignored her. My strongest subject was biology and I'll be damned if I allow her or anyone else to beat me at it.

Back in sophomore year she and Stephanie made my life a living hell because I got two percent higher than her in a test. She created a rumor that I thought I was better than other people. Just because I was an introvert. No one would talk to me until I met Anya.

To not stick out too much I did something I wasn't proud of. I purposefully got two or three questions wrong on biology exams. Well all of that stops now.

Moderator: What is the differential of 2x^²?

Liam: 4x

Moderator: "Correct."

Whoa. Math questions were easy. I think I might actually have a shot if I'm faster with the buzzer that is.

The quiz continued for what felt like days and we were just 20 minutes in with scores as follows: Alex 15, Claudia 12, me 17 and Liam 21.

The auditorium had to be quiet as not to interrupt the quiz but students were allowed to carry banners and plaque cards to support each participant.

The swim team was of course supporting Liam, the robotics club Alex, the rest of the school Claudia and then there was the best person in the world. Anya, with the banner she designed herself. Anya was a computer genius and her graphic design skills were second to none in the school. Her mother wanted her to be a doctor but unfortunately that won't be happening.

Moderator: "Chills, fatigue, muscle ache and weakness, weight gain are symptoms of which en-"

Liam: "influenza."