Chapter 8

Rebecca's Pov

There was time before the party to do some reconnaissance.

We decided to return to school to get some footage of what happened today before the quiz, to see if either of them let it slip about their plan. It was a long shot but it was the only idea we had that could clear my name.

Anya decided she would hack the school wifi to see what Claudia and Stefanie had been up to. Only problem was, we didn't have time to comb through it all.

We were trying to sieve through the data when the laptop was haphazardly slammed shut. We nearly jumped out of our skin.

We both look to see that it was Liam and he had an unreadable expression on his face.

About three second later the vice principal sauntered by with some documents in hand.

If she had caught us we would have been screwed. Before he could say anything I decided to go with a cliché.

"I can explain." Is all I could muster.

"Well?" He gestured for me to continue.

"Um....well...you see." I fumbled over my words. This is the universe telling me that not only was I clumsy with actions, I was also clumsy with words. I looked to Anya for help. And she shrugged and mouthed "the truth."

As much as I wanted to keep this to myself I guessed if I'm to ever have anything more than a kiss with him I'll better just be honest from the get go.

I told him what Jessica told me and he didn't seem angry or surprised.

He was actually smirking.

"I guess you finally know." He said smugly.

"You knew?! And you didn't tell me?" I yelled incredulously.

My rational way of thinking was severely impaired, I groaned in frustration, I was beyond upset.

"Breathe baby, breathe." He said in a cooing voice while pulling me into a hug.

Baby? Why was he calling me baby? How dare him.

"Don't call me baby!" I exclaimed through sobs. At some point I had started to cry.

"What should I call you then?" He chuckled into my hair.

Thank God I washed it last night with my favourite raspberry shampoo and used the coconut based oil sheen. He was trying to distract me and I allowed it.

"How long have you known, and why didn't you tell me?" I continued my line of questioning.

"To be honestly, I heard the rumors since I started this school after spring break." He said matter of factly. "But I was new and we weren't close then, we just did labs together. Would you have believed me? And let's say I did tell you back then...what would you have done?" He asked.

"I would have confronted them..." I said immediately but I had to stop short.

I was weak back then. Being friendless and them having the whole school to back them, it would have been my word against theirs. Like with the rumor that I did know about. I would have hid and cried about it. It wouldn't have made a difference.