chapter twenty-three

"Hey kiddo! Get ready for school!" you heard your father shouting a you behind your door. Recent week had gone fast and now it was that awful first day of school again. And it certainly wasn't helping that your father tried to push you in there. Even though you had been gone for two weeks and you were helplessly behind the others, you still wanted to stay in bed and never go to school again.
Well, it was your last year after all, only few months and this hell hole would be long gone behind you. Then you would have your chance to be a full time avenger, only thing you had ever dreamed about.

You got up from your lovely, comfortable bed and headed to your bathroom to clean yourself up. When you looked at the mirror, you suddenly remembered Peter again. What if you'll bump into him on the corridors? Or should you try to look for him in there and try to talk to him? He had totally ignored you after he had moved temporary back to his aunt. Gosh, he must hate you now.

You went downstairs into the garage, where Tony, your sister and some big man with black-white suit were. He looked awfully like a bodyguard and it seemed like you were right about it.
"Kid, this is your new driver. He's going to take you to school and back in here every day." Tony told you as he pointed at the man. You weren't happy about this at all. A bodyguard? Seriously?

"I don't need anyone to pick me up from school like a nine year old child." you protested, but Tony wasn't clearly going to argue about this with you. And you weren't going to win even if you tried. You had been gone for two weeks and looked like Tony wanted to keep you safe by hiring someone to drive you into school every day.
"If you really want someone to babysit me, why it can't be you, or Happy? He's gotta be much nicer than him." you huffed, which made Tony to glare at you even more than earlier.
"Don't start now young lady, and you don't talk here like that." he replied and pointed at you accusingly. Then he gave Morgan to you and told you to make sure she was going to get to her kindergarten safely. You were surprised that he even counted on you with her, after your latest doings and events. But you wouldn't risk your sister's safety, ever.

That man who's name you didn't even bothered to ask, was driving you to school after you had dropped your sister into the kindergarten. He didn't talk at all and you wondered did he even managed the ability of speaking. Although it didn't bother you at all to travel in silence for once.

For your luck, you hadn't bumped into Peter the whole day. Or you weren't that sure was it luck or should you just face it and try to talk to him.

You had also noticed that plenty of people in your school had noticed you for the first time ever. Many of them kept staring at you while you walked through the corridors to your next class or lunch break. Your head filled with voices as you tried to read their minds while they kept staring at you.

/that's the girl from news/
/she's one of the avengers/

Those were probably the most popular thoughts you heard through all the noise inside your head. It didn't feel good at all to try mind reading in public, where were lots of people. It felt like hell and it gave you a burning headache, so you needed to stop quickly.

You didn't like to be stared at, not at all. You hated attention and prefered the time when nobody didn't even notice you. The time you were like air to everyone.

You were sitting on the bench on the corridor, when someone knocked on the window behind you. You turned around, and just to see that stupid hideous best friend of yours, waving at you behind the window. You opened it and let him in. Gladly you were on the most quiet and outlying corridor, so no one couldn't see his coming.