♥ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 ♥

We had all spent the entire day in the Cavern Club; the boys playing (with the odd break), and us girls watching and dancing - and Cyn and Dot screaming every so often when Paul or John did something which they deemed particularly sexy.

But, as all good songs must come to an end, so did our day.

I sighed as I collapsed into the chair beside George.

He turned to me and grinned, "good day, Em?"

I nodded eagerly, my limbs feeling weak because I had spent all day using them. "The best, George."

George smiled, nodding. "I'm glad... I like spending time with you, y'know."

I was silent. What could I say in reply to that? I didn't want to lead him on or give him false hope, but at the same time, I also wanted to convey how much I liked him and how much I liked spending time with him.

Luckily, I didn't have to reply. My brother came over with Dot under one arm and holding a glass of coca-cola in his other hand.

"A'right, Em?" I nodded. "Enjoy the show?"

"My legs are about to drop off." I replied.

Dot laughed, "your accent is so funny!"

Paul shot her a look and she was silent. I blushed and George offered me a supportive smile.

"Dot!" Cyn called as she practically floated over, John following behind her with a tired and annoyed look on his face. "Fancy walking back now?"

Dot nodded at Cyn and moved away from Paul, lacing her arm with Cynthia's.

Cynthia turned to me. "It was nice meeting you, Emeraude."

I nodded, smiling. "And you, Cynthia -"

"You'll have to teach me some of those crazy American moves next time!" The two girls kissed their boyfriends goodbye and then left the now almost-empty Cavern Club.

I sighed and looked up from the floor, surprised to see that Paul and George and John were all looking at me.

"What?" I asked in a grumpy tone of voice. "Have I got something on me?" I looked down at my outfit to see if I had spilt anything on it, but couldn't see anything there.

"No." George promised.

"Don't listen to them two, Emeraude. One's a witch and the other's her wicked familiar."

Paul and George chuckled. "Aye, but which witch is which?" Pete asked as he appeared behind John. The four of us laughed as John tried to hide the fact that he had almost jumped out of his skin at the sound of Pete's voice. "Right," Pete said as he came over to me, "I'll be going." He dropped a soft kiss on the top of my head, "see you next show, Emeraude?"

I smiled, nodding, though I had no interest in Pete whatsoever. "Maybe." He gave a goodbye to the lads and then left.

As he disappeared up the Cavern steps to the outside world, George muttered, "arsehole," under his breath.

I giggled and he beamed at my reaction, seemingly happy that I had overheard his insult of the drummer.

"Right," Paul said, "I'll walk you home then, yeah?"

I nodded and smiled, standing up and smoothing down my skirt, but John interrupted what I was going to say next, "no point in you walkin' her home and then back to your's." He pointed out. "We're practically neighbours - I'll walk her."

Paul and I exchanged looks and I gave a small shrug. Paul turned to his best friend, "sounds good, John. You sure you don't mind?"

John shook his head, "it's on my way." He promised. Paul smiled at his friend as a way of saying thank you, and then he took me into his arms.

"Look after John, yeah?" I nodded, waiting for Paul to elaborate. "His mum was hit by a car at night, so I think he gets nervous sometimes."

I nodded again as Paul pulled away from me and kissed the middle of my forehead. "I'll watch out for us both." I promised him.

John and I walked closely beside each other through the quiet streets of Liverpool and then into Woolton, the bus service not running because of the late hour.

"George seems to like you." John said after a few minutes since the last time we had spoken.

I nodded, "he's sweet." I admitted, "and I like him... but he's a little nervous, though - or maybe I am. I don't know."

"He's always like that." John replied, "he's the baby of the group and his family, so he always has someone looking out for him."

"Must be nice."

John hummed in reply and we turned down Menlove Avenue.

It had turned awkward between us in the few seconds since we had last communicated, so I said, "Cyn seems nice enough."

I watched him out of the corner of my eye as he shrugged. "She's a'right. Bit boring at times. Do all girls talk about feelings?"

I wanted to laugh at the way he had said the last sentence - as if he was disgusted with girls wanting to talk about their feelings and emotions.

I giggled. "I don't, Lennon." I paused as we stopped outside of my house. "Don't ask me about George again." He nodded.

"As long as I shall live." John crossed his finger over his heart and I giggled. "I'll watch you in from here."

I nodded, "thanks for walking me, John... see you soon?"

He nodded, "probably tomorrow, knowing your brother. Night, Em."

"Night." And then I dashed up the driveway and into the house, surprised to find that it was still open and that Kevin hadn't locked it before he'd gone to bed - because he surely had by now... it was so early in the morning!

I kicked off my shoes and crept into the kitchen to grab a slice of bread. I buttered it and then took a bite, holding it one hand as I went into the living room because I could see the shadows being cast onto the hallway wall, so the light must still have been on in there.

But when I went into the living room, I stopped. On the floor was a body, and I knew it was Kevin. I dropped the buttered bread to the floor and rushed over to my stepdad. I tried to remain calm and breathe in and out of my nose and mouth, but as I turned Kevin over, I saw that he had been lying in a puddle of his own vomit, and his chest wasn't rising and falling.

I screamed, stood up and ran out of the house and to 251 Menlove Avenue. Mendips. John's house. I ran to John.

I pounded on the door relentlessly, sobbing until he opened the door and opened his mouth to ask me what I wanted - but when he saw my face, bathed in the light from the hallway behind him, his mouth fell to the floor and his arms opened. I ran into them and buried my face in his shoulder.

He said, "I'm going to call Paul."

♬♩♪♩  ♩♪♩♬