♥ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 ♥

The minute that I felt my waters break, just two days after my twenty-sixth birthday, I got out of bed and began to tidy up. I changed the bed sheet first, airing off the mattress and hoping that it would dry before George got home from the studio - which I prayed would be early today.

I felt a very sharp pain towards the bottom of my stomach, and knew from experience that it was a contraction. I was a month early, but both of the children that I had carried; Dhani and Nancy, had arrived weeks earlier than they'd been expected, and so I wasn't worried about this third baby being any different... Nevertheless, it had been a very sharp kick.

"Jules!?" I called as I slipped on a maternity dress, "Julian!?" There was no answer. I put my slippers on and rested a hand on my belly as I winced. Being so large in the middle of the stifling summer heat was uncomfortable. I went into the hallway, "Nancy? Dhani!?"

I wondered where the three of them were. George had left for the studio before I had woken up, but he usually got the children up with him and gave them breakfast, settling them down before he left so I could sleep in for a little bit. I loved him for it. I sighed and went downstairs, "Julian!" I called out again, still not receiving a reply. "Hello?"

I looked in every room before going into the kitchen. I wasn't worried that I hadn't found them yet - George had probably taken them with him to the studio. Occasionally, families were welcome at Abbey Road. Sometimes Paul would bring Linda and Heather, who he had adopted just a few months previously, Ringo and Maureen would put in an appearance with Jason and Zak, and John and Yoko would turn up - though this was becoming very rare, as John, more often than not, preferred to record his vocals away from the others, and usually at night. On the days that he knew there would be the other children for Dhani and Julian to play with, he'd take the boys with him, and Nancy didn't like to be left behind any day, so he took her with him whenever he thought it would be a good idea.

But the band were arguing a lot, and had been for about a year.

And it was getting worse.

Usually the children were taken in as a way of preventing the arguments - because none of the men wanted to argue around them when they were so young.

I looked at the fridge, and sure enough, there was a note stuck to it with a magnet, George's scrawl visible from across the kitchen. I took the note from the fridge and read through the note.

Took kids to studio, have some rest. Love you.

I laughed, "rest, indeed..." I said to myself as I opened the fridge and smelt the vegetable biryani that George had cooked the previous evening. "Perfect." I took it, grabbed a spoon and began to eat. It was spicy, too spicy for breakfast, but it was exactly what I needed.

When I had stomached as much of that as I could, I put the bowl in the sink and made my way into the living room, sitting on the settee and picking the phone up from the coffee table at the side of the piece of furniture. I dialled the midwife's number and waited patiently for her to answer.

"Hello, it's Emeraude Harrison?" I said by way of a greeting as soon as she picked the phone up.

"Ah, Mrs Harrison," she said brightly, "is everything okay? We're not scheduled for a check up until next week -"

"My waters broke this morning." I told her, "I've just eaten a biryani, and I'm getting contractions."

"How far apart?" She asked, sounding slightly more hurried than she had done the previous sentence.

"About fifteen minutes." I paused, "actually, probably every twenty."

"Mrs Harrison, I'm leaving now. Is your husband there?"

"No," I replied, "he's at the studio with the children. I want it to be a surprise for him." The idea had come to me when I'd been eating my biryani breakfast.

"Oh," she said in surprise, "um, okay... and you still want to deliver at home?"

I nodded, humming in reply. "I'll be using one of the spare rooms as my own mattress is slightly damp at the moment," I explained, "I was on it when my waters broke."

"Ah, well not to worry then, dear." The midwife paused, "like I said, I'm leaving now. I'll be about half an hour, I'm sorry I can't get to you sooner -"

I didn't hear the rest of what she was saying, because at that moment, another contraction washed over me. By the time I had recovered enough to reply, she had hung up. I put the phone back on the hook and then took several minutes to compose myself before I pushed myself up and off of the settee before I made my way back upstairs, changing into a comfortable nightdress before I went to get into bed in one of the lesser used spare rooms. I was reading Colonel Sun, the latest Bond novel, so took that into the room with me, readying myself for a long day of labour.