♥ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 ♥

Getting tired children and a tired husband as well as all of our suitcases through customs whilst simultaneously avoiding the media and paparazzi was a feat which I thought that I deserved a medal for.

When we finally got to the VIP exit of the airport, I was puffing and out of breath and it was drizzling. The children gasped the fresh air in like it was their first time outside ever, and George was practically hanging off of my shoulder.

I groaned, shrugging him off of me. "George!" I hissed, feeling jet lagged already, "take one of the -"

We both jumped at the sound of familiar laughter coming from our right. John was striding towards us with his arms opened wide and a smile on his face. He looked like he had been the last time we had all been in Liverpool as teenagers; happy. Carefree. Young.

Nancy ran at him, as she did all of The Beatles. He caught her and picked her up as if she were four and not nine. As if she weighed nothing. He kissed her cheek and put her on his hip as he closed the gap between us.

"You must be Jack," he teased her.

Nancy giggled, "Nancy!"

He tickled her belly and she squealed in delight, wriggling so hard that John put her down so he didn't drop her. He knelt down and smiled at Jack. "Little Jack Harrison," he smiled, "you look like your dad - and Dhani, actually." He squeezed one of Jack's cheeks, giving him a kind smile that I remembered fondly as the one that had belonged on the face of the John Lennon that I had first met in 1961. And then he turned to his two boys. Julian was staring at him boldly, almost confrontationally - as if he was ready for John to say something that would cause a fight - and Dhani was biting his fingernails and staring at the ground. "And I'd know the two of you anywhere, of course." John smiled, "My boys!" He hugged them both at the same time, and as soon as he let them go, Dhani jumped back and hurried to stand between George and I. George put a hand on his shoulder and knelt down, talking to Dhani very quietly in a soothing tone, calming him down, which was something that he did incredibly well.

John just watched, his head cocked at George and Dhani.

"John," I said, stepping forward so I could draw his attention away from my son and husband, because I knew that in that moment, Dhani needed privacy. John's eyes met mine and he smiled, refusing my outstretched hand and instead taking me into his arms and squeezing me until I wheezed. Nancy giggled at my wide eyes over his shoulder, and when John finally let me go, I took several seconds to recover. "It's nice to see you again."

"You look well, Em," John replied with a smile, "though can't say the same for dear old Georgie, 'ere." Pointedly, he looked at George.

George, who had heard his name, looked away from Dhani for a split second to glower jokingly at his old friend.

"Lovely family you've got." John said, gesturing to the four children, each in turn.

I wiped some raindrops from my eyes; the rain seemed to be getting heavier.

I nodded, "we're very proud of it."

John leaned a little closer to me, "you've done well for yourself, Em." I didn't know what to say in reply to that, so I just smiled and hummed in reply, looking behind me at George, who was just regaining his full height and dusting himself down.

George came over and held out his hand to John, just as I had.

John, as he had with me, refused it, and instead hugged George, which was very out of character for him - John had always prided himself on being the big tough Northern lad who didn't hug or even really touch other men unless they were family.

"Dhan needs to be approached slowly," George said quietly, glancing at Dhani as he walked past us and over to Julian, Nancy and Jack, who were all talking together and throwing their gazes over to John every few seconds. "You'll see."

John took a whole minute to think over that before he said, "right," he turned to the children, who were now all watching him, "come on, you lot - Yoko's got the kettle on for hot chocolate!"

The four of them cheered. John walked around both George and I and grabbed three of the six suitcases. He wheeled them ahead and the children followed like rats on the pied piper. George and I split the remaining three suitcases between us; he took two and I took the final one, and then we followed John to his limousine.

* * * * *

"Is all this really yours, Uncle John?" Jack asked excitedly as he continued to watch New York race by out of the window. John, who was holding Jack in his lap, chuckled.

"The whole world is yours if you want it badly enough, Jack my boy!"

He tickled Jack on either side of his rib cage and Jack squirmed on his lap, giggling and trying to get away. I smiled at the sight of them but couldn't help but wish that John was putting as much effort in with Dhani as he was with the other three children.

He had given Julian a football, Nancy a bone hairbrush and Jack a new teddy bear as soon as we were all in the limousine, but had given Dhani nothing, promising instead that his present was back in his and Yoko's apartment at the Dakota building.

I knew undoubtedly that it had hurt Dhani that his siblings had been given a present and he had not yet, but I let George comfort him because Dhani got the most consolation from him.

We arrived at the Dakota, and John told the driver to unload our suitcases and to take them into the foyer so they could be sent up to the apartment. The man nodded and John led us inside, still holding Jack in his arms.

We all got into the overly large lift and John pressed a code in to take us to his and Yoko's apartment. As soon as the doors opened, Yoko was standing in front of them, and the sound of a screaming baby could be heard a few rooms over.

Yoko's eyes rested on me first. She didn't smile at me, and I didn't smile at her.

"Welcome." She said in a taught tone.

I pushed Nancy forward gently, urging her to say hello and be a role model to her three siblings. She smiled at Yoko, "hello, Aunt." She bowed her head, "I'm -"

Yoko crossed her arms against her small chest, looking over Nancy's head and at her husband. "John, the baby is crying." I felt an anger inside of me growing very quickly - how dare she ignore my daughter!

John sighed and handed Jack to George, quickly pushing his way out of the lift and dashing off to see to the crying baby.

That's very weird, I thought to myself, purposely avoiding looking at Yoko, why didn't she see to him? Why did John have to do it? How long has baby Sean been crying?

I had never liked Yoko, but the thought of any woman leaving a baby to cry was sickening to me, let alone if it was their own baby.

"The kettle is in the kitchen. Everything has its place. Find it and put it back where you got it from." She turned and walked off.

I turned to George, "what a lovely welcome."

Julian turned to look at me, "I don't think I'll be able to put up with her for the next week -"

I put on a brave face, taking a deep breath. "Well suck it up, Jules, because we're here, and we're all going to be nice and grateful to Yoko. Okay?"

Julian groaned.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

He sighed and nodded.

"Here he is, then," John said brightly as he came back into the room, holding a little baby in a onesie, "my little Sean."