♥ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨 ♥

22nd August 1969

"Dhani," I said in an exasperated tone, "you have to wear this." I held out the sweet little shirt which I had bought for him a few weeks previously, "you have to look nice."

"But it's hot outside!" He complained, pointing to the window.

"I know, but -"

"I don't want to wear it."

"Dhan, come on." I pleaded with him, my patience wearing thin. I envied George, who had the job of getting Julian, Nancy and Jack ready to go. Three children were easier than just Dhani.

I sighed and sat down on the settee, feeling exhausted and aware that it was barely 9AM.

"I want to wear my cape," Dhani said, gesturing to the red cape which was attached around his neck. "Mummy, I want to be a superhero."

"But I really need you to wear this today, Dhan." I tried again, "it's not often that I care about what you wear, is it?"

"What's going on?" George asked as he came into the room. I looked behind him and saw that Nancy and Julian were talking quietly in the hallway, Jack in the pram beside them. The three of them were quite content.

I turned to George, "he just won't put it on."

George took the shirt from me and turned to Dhani, "Dhan, what's wrong with this shirt, eh?"

"I want to wear my cape!" Dhani cried. I watched as George dealt with him, feeling slightly guilty that I was forcing my son into doing something that he didn't want to for the sake of a man that I disliked and a woman that I loathed.

"But this shirt's like mine." George held it up against his own chest, the shirt that he was wearing was almost exactly the same as his navy one. "You want to look like your old dad, don't you?"

Dhani bit his lip and crossed his arms against his bare chest, very obviously at a crossroads - and that was where George would have him, I knew.

"Dhan, red and blue look good together, y'know." My husband paused, "why don't you wear the shirt, but bring your cape with you? Then you can be a superhero for a bit and my best boy the rest o' the time." Dhani beamed at the nickname which George had used for him, and I knew that he had been won over.

Dhani took the shirt from George's outstretched hand and hurried to put it in, forgetting that he was wearing his cape as he tried to do the shirt up over the top of the red material. I chuckled and got off of the settee, kneeling down and undoing the cape gently so I didn't startle Dhani into another tantrum. I laid it on the floor beside us and then set about straightening the shirt and buttoning it up for him. When I was done, I took a few seconds to appreciate how smart my Dhani - my firstborn - looked. I smiled at George, who was hovering very closely behind Dhani. George smiled back and I gave Dhani a kiss on the forehead.

"Just be nice to John today, Dhani."

"And Yoko?" Dhani asked for clarification.

I sighed and nodded. "I know she can be strange at times, but she cares about you, really."

Dhani was too young yet to understand that George wasn't his biological father, but I knew that Julian suspected. He too, didn't know about his true parentage for sure, but both George and I planned to explain it to Julian before he went to school... and Dhani when the time came.

"And if it all gets too much for you, Dhan," George said softly as he came around the side of Dhani and knelt down beside me, putting a hand on my knee to comfort me and then taking one of Dhani's hand in his free one, "then let me or your mum know, yeah?"