♥ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐲 ♥

George and I left it until the next morning to tell the children about the ending of the band. I cooked them breakfast and George got them all up and dressed, handing me Jack once I had plated and served everybody else's breakfasts so I could breastfeed him. I did this at the table, looking to George only briefly to see if he wanted to tell them at that moment or wait for some time.

But he nodded.

I swallowed.

"We have some news -"

"Are you having another baby?" Julian asked, his eyes widening slightly. His expression was almost comical, but George and I didn't feel like laughing.

"No, Jules." I replied softly.

"We wanted you three to be the first to know," George sipped at his coffee, pausing briefly before he said, "the band is over. Officially."

Nancy began to cry, Julian's jaw dropped and Dhani's fork was frozen halfway to his mouth.

They looked like they'd been delivered the worst news in the world.

I tried to cheer them up, "come on, you three," I said, "it's not all bad... you've still got the records -"

"And the memories." George supplied.

I nodded in agreement. "And you'll still see Uncle Paul, and probably Uncle Ringo, too -"

"Not as much because we won't be going into the studio, but I'm sure that they'll come for birthdays and things."

The three of them were silent, though Nancy continued to cry. I cocked my head towards her and looked at George, who got up from his chair and went to get Nancy, picking her up and consoling her, patting her back.

"No, daddy!" She exclaimed, "it can't be over!"

"Mum," Dhani whimpered, the first words that he had said to anybody all morning, "it's not true... is it?" He looked afraid to ask.

I sighed and nodded.

"It is..." I bowed my head and looked at Jack for several seconds. Jack, who wouldn't be able to remember his dad being in The Beatles. Jack, who would never understand the cultural impact that The Beatles had on the world.

Dhani began to cry, too. George went over to him and picked him up, holding Nancy on one hip and supporting Dhani's weight on his other. They were both crying and I could tell that George was struggling to hold them both and also to not cry himself.

I wondered what he would do now, because we had never spoken about a future outside of the band.

"What happens next?" Nancy asked through her tears, looking directly at George.

He looked lost. I got up and went over to her, wiping away her tears with one hand whilst I used the other to hold Jack.

"Who knows, baby?" I asked, "nobody ever knows what comes next... maybe daddy will make more music, or maybe he'll become a bus driver like your grandad Harold." Harold was George's dad, and still drove the buses in and around Liverpool. I was joking about George driving the buses though; I knew that he had always hated it when his dad did it, and would never do it himself, but I meant what I said; who knew what George and we as a family would do next?

Paul's POV

I was steaming angry, smoke practically bursting from my ears as I paced the floors in the living room, the soft rug between my toes doing nothing to calm my temper or stop me from walking back and forth. "He couldn't even show up!" I ranted, waving my arms around as Linda sat on the settee with Mary in her arms and Heather at her side, the two of them watching me wearily.

I had been pacing for almost thirty-five minutes this morning, and I had done so for almost two hours last night without sitting down.

"The last ever meeting - the one where we make it all official - and he couldn't even show." I turned to Linda, "d'you think he did it on purpose?"

George had always put the band first.

Linda shook her head, "George wouldn't do that to you, John or Ringo."

"And he signed with Klein," I spat the word out, "they all did."

"Yes, dear," Linda agreed, "you're the only one with sense - they'll regret it. You'll be better off for it, and they'll lose millions. Paul, you tried to warn them."

Mary finished suckling at Linda's breast. Linda pulled her shirt back down to cover herself and then began to burp our daughter.

"I know," I agreed, sitting down on the other side of Heather, "butEm's going to suffer when George does... and the children -"

"That's not your problem." Linda said, winding Mary, "that's George's. He can provide for his family as much as you can yours."

"Yes, but Emeraude is my family." I rested my chin in my hand, "Lind, maybe I should have tried harder to convince him -"

"Don't blame yourself. You did all you could." Linda sounded impatient, so I was quiet, not wanting to annoy her. Her temper was inescapable once it began.

"Daddy?" I looked at Heather, who had her hand on my leg to get my attention, "what'll the world do without The Beatles?"

"I don't know, Heather," I told her honestly, "we're going to have to find out."