36 | out of the hoop

"Psst...psst..."

I sigh for the umpteenth time as I turn around to face Lucy who is sitting behind me. She has her hair down today and it is accentuating her round face, making her look very non-troublesome which she isn't.

"What happened?" I ask.

She has been disturbing me for the last half hour in Mr. Charles's class. Our teacher is busy writing a very important table on the board but I am not able to pay attention because of her.

"Did you and Carter really break up?"

I pinch the bridge of my nose, extremely annoyed at the same question again. I am tired of answering the same thing to her. She loves to gossip and since Saturday's fight, she has been on edge with the task of collecting the latest ones.

"Lucy," I breathe, feeling irritated. "I need to concentrate."

I turn and go back to copying the table in my notebook. I don't want to think about Carter — I have been telling myself the same thing for the last two days with no actual result. I keep thinking about him and about us. My misery is making me feel depressed and the only distraction I can get right now is busy with today's basketball match between him and Kyle's team.

Stephen said that Coach set them up against each other because he needs to decide who gets to lead the team for the Inter-School matches this year. They are both amazing players and both have excellent leadership skills. The match is today's 'event of the day' for which everyone is excited for.

Before Stephen, Kyle was the only one on the team with good leadership skills but now Stephen has given him tough competition and is already the Coach's favorite. The match is due to take place after lunch.

"Pssst...psst."

My fingers curl around my pen in frustration but I try my best to keep my anger in check as I turn around again.

"What?" I ask, gritting my teeth.

"Will you be at the match today?" Lucy asks.

"I don't think so."

"But it's Stephen Crawford playing!" she gasps, her eyes bulging out of their sockets. "Isn't he like your best friend?"

"He is but he knows I know nothing about basketball and can provide like zero moral support." I draw a zero in the air between us and give her a fake smile. "Are we done? Can I go back to writing now, please?"

Lucy nods, pouting her lips and looking at the board. I turn back to continue my work but I am more than less interested in doing it now. Mr. Charles is already done with half of the table and is about to erase the board. There is no way I can catch up with him now, thanks to Lucy. I exhale, feeling defeated, and place my forehead on my desk as I close my eyes and think.

Once again, about Carter.

I wonder what he is doing right now. Has he already moved on from me? He did stop calling me after a hundred missed calls. I quietly reach into my pocket and pull out my phone, only to find new texts from Carter.

pick up the Goddamn phone, Am!

Let's just talk about it.

Am, please...just talk to me once.

I'm sorry

Don't end things like this pls.

Fine, I'll do whatever you ask of me but please just talk to me once.

Are you there?

Why are you keeping me on seen?

At least reply to my texts.