epilogue

C A R T E R

One month later:

"Which one?"

I dangle two ties in front of Aunt Melody's face and she cocks an eyebrow at me.

"They're both the...same?"

"No, they aren't," I groan, dropping the navy blue tie and going for the black one.

Whoever invented neckties definitely planned on murdering someone with them because they are nothing less than breath killers.

When my attempts to tie the thing properly around my neck fail, Melody turns me around and I automatically bend my knees a little so that she can help me.

She just came back from her morning shift at the hospital and was planning to take a hot tub bath when I dragged her to help me choose my outfit for tonight.

It is prom night and I want to look perfect.

I am wearing a navy black blazer, my Dad's, on top of a white shirt paired with black dress pants. My short hair is spiked with a little too much gel for my liking but Melody helped me set it with her hair spray. Absolutely not my fault; it was all Melody's idea.

"There you go," she says, tapping my shoulder and turning me back so that I can face the mirror.

I do look presentable but will she like it?

"Stop worrying, Carter!" Melody interrupts my thoughts as she walks out of my room with me trailing behind her.

She places herself on the couch in the hall with a magazine in her hands.

The apartment we have shifted to is smaller than Amaya's right on our opposite. It is a two-bedroom with attached bathrooms, a hall, and a kitchen, spacious enough for Melody and me. She has decorated it with minimalist second-hand furniture but it still looks elegant, something which I am not used to living in. I owe a lot to her for letting me stay here till I move to New York for university.

I am not happy about the latter part at all. Mostly because of two reasons — firstly, I have to work a part-time job to pay my tuition fees. I can ask Grandpa Bell for help but the problem is that I have never met him in person. The man has always been disinterested in Dad's life ever since Dad married Mom who was from a poor background—something which didn't sit well with the multi-millionaire old man.

He cut ties off with his son after Dad refused to take over his business and instead thrive on his own. I am glad Amaya never doubted that her boyfriend might be the sole heir to a billion dollars company.

Secondly, Amaya's future with me is still unsure. I don't want to be away from her, not even for a second. but moving to New York doesn't seem to go along with the plan.

"Will she like it? Do I look good?" I pester Melody, moving around so that she can take a look at my look.

"Any girl will be ogling you today, darling."

She puts the magazine down and places her elbows on her knees as she cups her face and studies me.

"I'm just so nervous..." I pace around the hall. It is nearly 7 pm and I have to go next door to pick my girlfriend up. "What if she thinks I overdid it?"

"Relax, sweetie," Melody purrs. "She knows how bad you're at fashion."

I narrow my eyes at her. "Not funny, Mel."

She laughs and picks up her purse from the tea table nearby, taking out some cash and forwarding it to me. I look at it hesitantly.

"Keep it for emergencies."