39 | corrupted heart

He is here. Even after everything I told him, even after everything he told me, he is here.

"Carter?"

I don't believe he is real. This is my imagination. The darkness is making me see things. My mind is filled with Carter's thoughts and that's just it.

He is not really here.

"In the flesh," he says and I let out a small cry, my body shuddering at the sound of his voice.

He walks towards me and kneels on one knee, his eyes scanning over the rope which ties my feet together. He reaches for it while I keep my gaze focused on him. How can he be real? He wasn't supposed to be here. This has to be a dream. He tugs at the rope at my feet and my body gives a jolt, making him snap his eyes to me.

"Carter...oh my God!" I exclaim, my voice dying halfway when the affliction in my chest tortures me.

"Amaya...relax."

He touches my knee and I shiver again, flinching away from his touch.

"This can't be you," I say. "You shouldn't be here. How did...how did you?"

"It was Mark," he says, inspecting the rope and trailing his hand to make out the pattern.

"Ma...rk?"

"Mark had been following me. He told Panther where you are. He saw us today." He pulls at the rope and I feel pressure in my hand which makes me wince. "Panther was hiding at the club and Mark was doing his rounds for him. Hold on." He moves to my side and tugs at the rope that ties my hands together. "He used a single rope to bind you. Let me see what I can do."

"Did Mark tell you all this? But...why?"

"I went to apologize," he answers. I hear the tone of reluctance in his voice. "He was drinking when I got there and when he started speaking of Black Panther, I sat down with him and pretended to drink too. He was so drunk that I got my answers out of him easily."

Did he take so much trouble for me?

I want to thank him but it doesn't come out like thanks when I open my mouth.

"You should leave." My voice shakes in fear as I speak. "Panther will be back and he will kill you if he finds you here."

"Shut the hell up, Am!" he snaps at me and I feel his breath close to my ear. "I called the cops. They will be here soon. Besides, I can't leave now. He has repaired the front door."

"How did you know I will be here?" I question. "He could have taken me anywhere!"

"I called you, Am," he sighs. "I called you, I texted you when I came to know that he was coming for you. You didn't pick up."

So that's what the calls were about.

"I was speaking to Mom," I murmur to myself.

I leave the part where I was ignoring his calls because his voice makes me weak. I don't think he will be very glad to hear about my stupidity.

"I came here and saw the door thrown open. I don't think your neighbors heard him at the sound of that rain." I feel my hands part a little when the rope loosens an inch. "I called the cops but I couldn't wait for them knowing that you'll be here alone...with him. I rushed in just as he was coming out of the basement to repair the door. He missed me by a few seconds."

"He won't hurt me, Carter. He'll hurt you."

My voice is becoming lower with each passing minute and I have to keep inhaling deeper because my chest is screaming in pain.