I Never.

Rita told Katie to wait in the kitchen, and she went to go get her parents. Katie heard her tell her parents that she was in the kitchen, and then she heard their footsteps as they approached.

She took a deep breath as s last ditch attempt to calm her nerves, and put a smile on her face as Rita and her parents walked in.

“Mom, dad this is my um friend Katie” Rita looked as nervous as Katie felt, as she motioned between her parents and Katie.

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you” Katie said extending her hand to Rita’s mom.

“It’s lovely to meet you as well honey. We’ve heard so much about you.” Rita’s mom replies, shooting Katie a wink.

Rita groaned lightly at her mother’s actions, and then stepped forward grabbing Katie by the arm and pulling her to the away.

“You guys can take a seat, the food is ready to go.” Rita called to her parents over her shoulder, motioning to the table in the other room.

Katie and Rita plated the food and then carried it over to the table.

“Wow honey this looks great, I hope you didn’t force poor Katie here to make it all.”

“Oh no, Rita did most of the work, I just helped out a little” Katie said quickly.

“Well I’m impressed dear.” Rita’s mom said smiling at her daughter.

Rita didn’t answer, as she was trying to figure out where to sit. Her parents were sitting next to each other and Katie had sat down opposite of them. She was nervous to sit next to Katie, but she couldn’t sit on the other side and leave Katie by herself, it would just look rude. So she took a deep breath and sat down next to Katie with a forced smile.

Rita’s mom shot her a look noticing her daughter’s discomfort, but decided not to mention it, instead she turned to Katie with a smile

“So dear, first of all I really love the show, you’re very talented.”

Katie blushes slightly, “Thanks”

“And from everything that I’ve seen or heard from Rita, you seem like a lovely young woman and I couldn’t be happier that my daughter has a friend like you to go through all of this with.” Rita’s mom finished with a smile.

“Yeah, but I still don’t really understand, why are you girls always kissing on that show?” Rita’s dad speaks up for the first time.

Katie’s face goes bright red and Rita groans, hiding behind her hands.

Her mom laughs, “Excuse my husband dear, he’s very supportive but he has only seen two episodes and he doesn’t really understand TV shows these days.” She lovingly pats her husband’s shoulder.

“and besides, I’d much rather see my daughter kissing a nice girl like you than some of the weird guys she dated in high school.”

Rita who had just removed her hands from her face groaned again, as Katie chuckled lightly.

“I’ll take that as a compliment, thank you” Katie added, smiling at Rita’s obvious embarrassment.

The rest of the evening was pleasantly uneventful, and Rita breathed out a sigh of relief as she watched Katie pull out of her driveway.

She walked back inside and saw her mom was beginning to wash the plates they had been using,

“Don’t worry about that mom, I can do it.” Rita said walking up behind her mother.

“I’m sure you can dear but I don’t mind helping, plus it gives us a chance to chat. Your father is upstairs taking a shower.”

“Chat about what?” Rita asks as she grabs a plate and begins drying it.