New chapter.

Katie woke up to an odd muffled sound. She groggily opened her eyes, but all she saw was white.

It took her a couple of seconds to get her bearings, and realize that the white she was seeing was Rita’s shirt, and the muffled noise was her cell phone that must be buried somewhere on the bed.

She pulled back her head just enough to realize that she was on Rita’s bed, on top of the covers, with her head pressed into Rita’s chest.

She tries to turn over but quickly discovers that Rita’s arm is holding her firmly in place.

She manages to create enough space between them that she can reach down and grab her phone from where it is laying on the bed. As she does she notices that she and Rita are both in the clothes that they had been wearing the night before.

She finally gets her phone and shuts off the alarm; she must have forgotten to turn it off last night.

She also notices a new text message from Paul, and as soon as she see’s his name all the memories from the previous night come rushing back.

The restaurant,

Rita,

Paul,

Telling Rita they broke up,

The song,

Rita,

Crying,

Rita holding her

Rita!

She looks at the sleeping girl next to her, the girl that held her while she cried, the girl that always managed to cheer her up.

She stared down at her and she felt her chest tighten, she suddenly had a strong urge to just lean down and kiss her.

Her eyes widen at the realization, and she quickly shakes her head trying to clear it.

She feels Rita stir next to her, and the arm that had been holding her in place is suddenly lifted, but Katie doesn’t move.

“Morning” Rita smiles down at her.

“Morning sleeping beauty” Katie replies, and she shifts over slightly to get a better look at Rita’s face.

“How are you feeling?” Rita asks softly, and Katie’s smile falters for a second before answering.

“I’m good”

“Do you wanna talk about it? You seemed pretty upset last night.”

“I don’t know, I don’t think I can talk about it because I’m not entirely sure what caused it. But thank you for being there for me.”

“Always” Rita smiles and then reaches over and wipes a stray tear rolling down Katie’s cheek.

“Now I think we could both use a shower, and some clean clothes” Rita says looking down at herself and then back up at Katie.

Katie laughs, “Why don’t you go take a shower and I’ll make us some breakfast.”

“I can help you make breakfast first” Rita offers.

“No I can handle it, go take a shower, I’ll take one after.”  Katie smiles and softly nudges Rita toward the bathroom.

Rita gets up off the bed and grabs a towel before heading into the bathroom.

Katie lays there for a few more seconds, when she hears the shower turn on she gets up and heads to the kitchen.

-