16. Ghosts

The ghosts face was completely pale, and he gaped at Will through the licking flames. Ash didn't notice anything off, leaning into Will with closed eyes and a content smile, oblivious to Will's thuddind heart.

It can't be...

The ghost across the fire stood suddenly, speaking a few words to the gril next to him and then slowly starting to make his way around the fire pit towards Will.

He's supposed to be dead...

Riley, his cheeks flushed with the heat of the fire and most likely from the shock of seeing Will as well, stopped in front of Will, staring. "...Will?"

Will's chest constricted, and it felt like the world was spinning out of control as he gaped at Riley. Ash opened his eyes and looked up at Riley, who had definitely gotten a lot taller since the last time Will had seen him.

What...? What is happening? Riley's dead...I'm seeing things, aren't I? I'm definitely seeing things.

"What," Will croaked, "are you doing here? You're supposed to be dead."

Ash stiffened in surprise, not sure what was going on and looking between the ghost of Riley and Will with complete bewilderment.

Riley laughed nervously. "Um...I'm not sure what--um, I don't know what that's supposed to mean?? I--er, I--who's this?" His attention turned to Ash, who was still more confused than he'd ever been, and stuck out a hand while raking his other hand through his inky hair that Will remembered so well. "Hi there. I'm Riley."

Ash just blinked, because he still had no idea who this Riley person was but did not like Will's reaction to him. He stared hard at Riley's hand, knowing Will's eyes were on him but not sure why because even if Will had told him about who this surprise person was, he sure as hell didn't remember it. So he reached out and took Riley's hand, shaking it with a small smile. "Hi there. I'm Asher, Will's boyfriend."

Riley's cheeks flushed slightly at the word "boyfriend," and Will hissed in a slight, sharp breath.  Riley peeked over at Will. "...Are you--"

"How are you alive?" Will interrupted, marveling at the sight in front of him. By all means, he had gotten over Riley. 100%. Completely done. No more feelings. But he had to know, even if he was over him. Right???

Riley looked taken aback. "...pardon?"

Ash had returned to looking confused, and he stood. "Um...I'm going to go get a hot dog," he declared, before heading off and away from the confusion. 

Riley looked to Will, then back in the direction Ash had gone, and then back to Will again. "...boyfriend, huh?" he murmured, a touch of hurt in his voice. "How long has that been--"

Will squinted at him, then stood. Yes, Riley had gotten much taller, and he was nearly at eye level with him now. Riley blinked, his words trailing off, and then his goofy little grin--the grin that made Will fall in love with him--suddenly appeared, and it was like the wind was knocked out of him.

No. nO. NO. I AM OVER HIM. I HAVE ASH. I LOVE ASH. RILEY IS DEAD.

Although, he clearly was not, since he was here, standing right in front of him.

"Hah!" Riley exclaimed. "I'm not so short anymore!"

Will frowned. "Riley, are you real?"

Riley's grin faded slightly. "Am I...real? What do you mean?"

Will stared intensely at his face. Yes, he looked very real, with tiny freckles scattered across his cheeks that Will didn't remember and a small mole right below his left ear that Will did remember. "...I mean...I thought you were dead. You got hit by my dad's car and--"

Understanding dawned on Riley's face. "Ohhh...yeah...my mom mentioned that you never came to visit at the hospital after she told you I probably wouldn't make it--" His expression softened and he tilted his head. "...but, um, I did. Wow, a lot of things make sense now." He laughed softly, a little, tinkling sweet noise, like bells. "I wondered where you'd gone. But it seems you have a--boyfriend now?" His smile grew slightly pained. "How long has it been? A year, maybe two? Since I last saw you, I mean."

Will didn't know if he was trying to guilt trip him, but it was definitely working, and so he looked away. "Erm. Just over two, i think, yeah."

Riley nodded slightly. "Right..."

The two fell into a long, uncomfortable silence, and then Ash returned, a hotdog in hand, munching happily. He stood near Will briefly, not saying anything, and then when he sensed the energy he quickly turned and walked over to Chaol because he did not want to be any more confused.

"So which cabin are you in?" Will said, tense and wishing Ash would come back.

"Not sure, exactly," Riley said quietly. "I got here only a few hours ago. A spot opened up in one of the boys' cabins because a kid had to go home sick."

Dread pooled in Will's stomach and he inhaled. "What was the guy's name?" He asked faintly.

Riley shrugged. "Um, something like Jack or Jake or something. I don't really know."

F u c k.

Will closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Well, then, you're in cabin 398."

Riley blinked. "Really? How do you know?"

"Because that's my cabin, and Jake went home earlier today," Will said, a touch of iciness creeping into his voice. This is not good. 

Riley's mouth formed a slight O shape. "...Oh! oh--oh," he said, looking like he was dreading this just as much as Will. "...great," he said, wrinkling his nose ever so slightly like he was trying to remain positive but it was very hard to in this sort of situation.

And Will felt the exact same.

- - - - - - - -

Omg. i actually wrote a chapter. I--who else is really proud because i hecking am--

Oh yeah also Riley's alive :))))) i dont think yall are ready for the storm that is about to take place lmao

Q: AHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHATS YALLS LEAST FAVORITE SUBJECT RN

A: M A T H

WHAT THE HELL IS EVEN THAT OK WHAT IS MATH I-- fhreiwfnejwnfjerbwfjebwkj

Hehe also random early chapter because i love and appreciate you guys :)))))