20. Talking

The moon was high in the sky casting its oval reflection on the wide, shimmering black lake, the stars sprinkled along the surface like little shards of diamond. Riley stared out over the soft ripples, the night completely silent save the distant crowks of frogs and crickets.

He heard footsteps, and he turned to see Will, stopping a few feet away and bringing at him.

Riley heart cracked a little, and his cheeks turned faintly pink as he looked away* "Can't sleep?" he whispered, scooting aside on his log, and Will Sar Sar after a brief hesitation.

"Yeah.

They didn't say much, just staring out over the water a slightly uncomfortable silence. There was so much that needed to be said, but Riley didn't know how to say it and he doubted Will did either. He'd always been a man of actions, not words.

"...I never thought I'd see you again."

There it was, the quiet declaration that shouldn't have surprised Riley but did anyway. Will never spoke first. Riley looked over warily not saying anything and let Will speak, who was staring at the sand beneath the log, watching a small crab skitter along the ground, pausing at anything that caught its interest.

"...I…I didn't know what to do. For...for a full year, after I thought you died, I just…e erything was numb, you know? You were the first, Riley. You've always been my first. I just…" He looked up at the sky, bathing his gorgeous face--those steely gray eyes that picked up everything--that softly curved nose, the perfect size for hisahgular face--his inky black hair, shot through with blue streaks Riley didn't remember from before--in moonlight, making Riley's breath die in his chest.

He's so beautiful….

But he's not mine anymore.

Riley had to look away or risk bursting into tears right there. "Yeah," he whispered, unable to hide the tremor in his voice. "I understand."

Will looked over, biting his lip, but Riley didn't look at him again. Instead he focused on the moon's reflection, his heart cracking further.

Why you, William Kade? Why did I have to fall so, so deeply in love...with you?

~ ~ ~

Zip lines.

Oh god, Ash thought. Why did it have to be zip lines...

"It's fine," Will said from next to him on the platform two hundred feet in the air as they strapped him into his harness. "People have only died, like, once. Forever ago."

Ash squealed and slapped his arm. "WILLIAM THAT DOESNT HELP"

Will laughed, grinning and kissing the top of his head as he stepped up to the edge of the platform. "It'll be fine. Zip lining is one of the funnest activities they got."

Ash looked down, grimacing as he quickly looked back up, dizzy. "Right...."

Will grinned and saluted Ash. "See you on the other side, darling." With that, he stepped off the edge with a whoop, and Ash's stomach lurched, his cheeks heating up, and for a moment he forgot how high in the air he was as a goofy grin spread across his face.

Behind him, Chaol laughed. "Wow, you guys are really in love, eh?"

Ash flushed and giggled. "...yeah..." He watched Will, who was whooping and hollering in excitement as he rocketed down the zip line, and he took a deep breath. I can do this...

He stepped up to the edge, and the zipline worker helped strap him into the harness. "You ready?"

No. "Um, I guess so--" he tried to hide the tremor in his voice.

The worker smiled encouragingly. "Just go whenever you feel like it, alright?"

Ash nodded, swallowing hard, and decided there was no time like the present as he squeezed his eyes shut and stepped off the platform.

It took him a good ten seconds to realize that the high-pitched wailing noise was coming from him as he whistled through the air, screaming, his knuckles white on the handles of the seat. His hair whipped back from his face and he didn't want to open his eyes to see the ground blurring past, his heart thudding. "OHMYGODIMGOINGTODIE WILLILOVEYOU IMSORRYITHADTOENDLIKETHIS--"

All of a sudden, the zipline jerked to a stop, and Ash's feet met solid wood. He was enveloped by warm arms and a familiar chuckle, and Will said in his deep, soothing voice, "Nice job. I thought you'd be stuck up there forever."

Ash squeaked and burrowed against him, squeezing his eyes shut Tighter. "Please never make me do that again--"

Will laughed and kissed the top of his head gently. "Alright, I promise."

- - - - -

I apologize for the late update :,) I wrote out the first part of this chapter and then forgot I had responsibilities lmao

Q: homeschool or public/private school?

A: public :,) many adventures for me lmao