22. Not Panicking

"...You're kidding."

Will paced back and forth, the trees rising high above them, the faint sounds of the rest of the campers in the distance. Riley was sitting on a stump a few feet away, his face more than a little pale, a hand unconsciously going to his neck. He'd been the one who spoke.

Will raked his fingers through his hair. "I wish I was. Apparently he's out on parole and he was only in for those three years because he hit you with his car, but you didn't die, so the judges figured he didnt need all fifteen years--" He was talking quickly, pacing so much the moss beneath his feet was starting to wear away.

Riley stared at the ground. "...fuck." The tone in his voice told Will that he was feeling the same way he was--like just when he'd found his footing, the rug was being ripped out from beneath them. Riley looked up, exhaling. "...have you told--Ash yet?"

Will shook his head. "...he...he doesn't need to know. My dad has no idea where I am. It's fine. It'll be fine..." It won't be like last time...

Riley nodded slowly, looking up at him. His expression was strange, and Will avoided looking at him. "...Will..."

Will swallowed, pacing faster, arms crossed, emotions whirring through him.

But what if this is like last time? What if he finds me? What will he do? He's clearly not mentally stable- he ran over a fucking kid, for God's sake-

"Will?"

Oh my god, what will he do to Ash? What if Ash loses his memory again?? What will I do if he comes for me?

"WILL."

Hands grabbed his shoulders, and Will looked up, eyes wide. Riley stared into his eyes, a hard expression on his face. "Stop thinking. I know you are. Your dad has no idea where you are, like you said. He's not gonna find you. If he's out on parole, that means the government is still watching him. He can't do anything. It's going to be fine. Ash is going to be fine."

Somehow, Riley knew exactly what to say without even realizing it.

Will stared at him, then looked down, his heart twinning in sorrow. He didnt love Riley anymore, but he felt a little guilty that Riley had to be alone. This was probably even more of an emotional roller coaster for him than it was for Will.

"Okay," Will mumbled, staring at a broken twig on the ground. "...thank you, Riley."

Riley exhaled and patted his shoulder, then drew back, his hands falling to his sides. "...yeah. No problemo."

~ ~ ~

"Allllright, campers!! Today is a hike day!! Get your sunscreen and shorts on and we'll direct you all to your different groups!!"

Beside Will, Tristan groaned. He'd fallen off the rope swing the day before and landed on a rock, bruising his leg, and they were planning on an eight hour hike. Will chuckled slightly and slapped his back. "Good luck, my friend."

Ash giggled. "You could ask if you can stay back--"

Tristan grimaced. "And play crazy eights with the old lady in the first aid room? No thanks. I'll suck it up."

Riley was listening to Chaol a few feet away, the redhead swinging his arms wildly as he told some insane story, and Riley started laughing, which caught Will by surprise.

...huh. I forgot what his laugh sounded like.

He threw an arm around Ash's shoulder and pulled him close, looking down at him. "Hey, I want to make you laugh."

Ash blinked and looked up, freckled cheeks flushing a little, an orange slice hanging out of his mouth. "Hm?"

Will smiled softly, the smile he only felt he could have when he was around Ash. "Yeah. Are you ticklish?"

"Am I-- WAIT--"

It was too late, however, because Will already had his hands at his waist and was tickling him ruthlessly. Ash gasped and wheezed, dropping the rest of his orange and trying to wriggle away, giggling uncontrollably and unable to break free of his boyfriend's grip. "wiLL-- OH MY GOD--STAWP--" He was laughing, though, and Will abruptly stopped, nestling his face in Ash's hair and hugging him close, Ash's back to his chest, and whispered in his ear, "I love you, Asher Erickson."

Ash went still, the grin still on his face. The other campers were already crowded around the counselor, and Ash slowly tilted his head back, looking up at Will in surprise, not sure what to say. "...I...Will..."

Will swallowed slightly and smoothed out Ash's hair. "I know you have some problems saying it back, but I do. I really do. You mean the world to me."

Ash blinked up at him, then sighed and turns hugging him around the waist and nestling his face into Will's chest. "...I...I love you too, Will. A lot."

Will's breath caught, and he grinned, hugging Ash tighter and kissing the top of his head, too overjoyed for words.

- - - - - - -

I said I'd post this week didnt I :)))

I'm

So tired

But here is fluff lol :)

ALSO O GOT A JOB SO WOOT WOOOOOOT

Q: Have any of yall ever had a job?

A: this is my first one and I'm starting tomorrow hehe