2. Just W's

"I'm going out," Will called. His mother popped her head out of the kitchen, looking faintly worried. 

"Okay," she said hesitantly. "Be back by ten, okay?"

Will only nodded and shoved his keys into his pocket, closing the door without another word.

He slid into his truck and shoved the keys in the ignition, the engine rolling several times before purring to life. Will sighed. I'll have to fix that soon...

He pulled out of the driveway, not knowing or especially caring where he was going, and drove down the road until her found himself at the park he'd always seen Ash at. The swing set seemed painfully lonely, and Will hesitated only a moment before leaving the park behind, heading for the woods.

He parked his truck in a spot no one would see it from the road, shoved his keys in his pocket, and climbed out, locking the doors. He inhaled slowly, heading into the woods without a backward glance at the road.

Why am I going here? Why do I insist on ruining myself?

When the old hunting shed came into view, he released a pent-up breath he didn't know he was holding in. He stopped at the doorway, running his fingers lightly over the A and the W carved into the wood, and then the hand prints on the wall next to them.

He let out a soft, shuddering breath and tore his gaze away from the letters carved into the wood.

A&W's, they'd called it, like the restaurant. 

But he supposed it was just W's now.

~ ~ ~

"Where's Will?"

The question flew, unbidden, from Ash's lips, and the nurse--her name was Cindy, if Ash remembered right (which he wasn't sure he could even do anymore)--blinked at him, clearly surprised.

"He's not coming back," Cindy said. "We told him it would be best if he stayed away to avoid any of your bad reactions.

Ash fell silent, fiddling with the hem of his hospital gown and biting his lip. "But..."

"Ash," Cindy said gently. "It would be best if he stayed away, okay? We don't want anyone to get hurt, least of all you."

Ash hesitated again, then nodded hesitantly. "Okay...when can I go home?" His voice sounded smaller than he wanted it to be.

Cindy's expression softened, but her eyes pinched a little in sympathy. "We're still figuring that out," she said simply. "We have social workers looking for a home for you right now."

Ash swallowed hard. "No. I mean--when can I go back to my house? To see...just to see."

Cindy bit her lip. "Oh...hm. I don't know."

Ash looked up, pleading. "Please," he mumbled, his grip tightening on his hospital gown. "Please. It's so lonely here--and it's almost Thanksgiving--"

Cindy exhaled. "It's almost Christmas, Ash. Thanksgiving was last month."

Ash's lips tightened and he looked away, scrubbing at his face to get rid of tears that weren't there but threatened to fall. "Please," he said again. "I don't want to be here anymore."

Cindy hesitated again, then sighed. "I'll see what I can do," she said gently, patting Ash's hand. "You have a nice night, okay?"

Ash swallowed hard, but nodded, not looking at her.

Nice night. As if.

He leaned back, his breath shuddering, and pressed the heels of his hands into his eyes.

I want Will.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry for the short chapter. I'm kinda pressed for time lately. I have a LOT going on, lemme tell you.

I'm probably not gonna be on tmrw, what with Father's day and stuff, which feels weird...my head's still back in May XD

Vote, comment, and follow me for announcements on updates! Your support is so amazing, and thank y'all so much.

Q: Step parents or siblings?

A: Oh yea. I'm adopted, along with my two real brothers, but I have two step-sisters and stuff.