23. Don't Kill Tristan

(authors note) bitch wtf I have no idea how to start this chapter um anyways 💅

The hiking trip took more than eight hours. In fact, it was a good thing the counselors thought to bring large tents in their wagons of snacks they'd brought along, because the sky was rapidly darkening and they were nowhere near the campground yet. They all gathered around the head counselor in a wider portion of the path, Will and Ash sticking close together, holding hands.

"alright, everyone," the head counselor said—her name was Everly, if Ash remembered correctly. "It looks like we might need to spend the night on the trail. There are only thirty two of you on this hike, thank god, and we brought three twelve person tents, so we'll have space. There's a campground fifteen minutes from here where we'll set up. Sound good?"

The exhausted campers chorused back a unanimous "Sounds good" and they began to follow their leaders down the dim path to the campground. Ash was exhausted, swaying on his feet slightly, and the heavy backpack on his shoulders didn't help. He tripped on an exposed root and tumbled into Will, who yelped slightly and caught him with strong, steady arms.

"Sorry," Ash squeaked, rubbing at his eye with a fist. "Oops—I'm sorry—" he couldn't keep the exhaustion from his voice.

Will blinked. "it's fine—hey, are you—okay?"

Ash nodded and yawned. "I'm fine. This has just been a lot of walking."

Will paused, then slung his backpack off and pulled it in front of him so it was on his chest, then crouched in front of Ash, a clear sign for a piggy-back ride.

Ash blinked, then blushed. "I—are you sure?"

"Absolutely. Climb on."

Ash couldn't contain his excited, happy smile as he hopped onto Will's back, clinging onto his shoulders. Will straightened, and Ash whooped slightly, sliding his arms tighter around his neck and gripping his hips with his thighs so he didn't fall off. He nestled his small face into the nape of Will's neck and closed his eyes, a soft smile spreading on his face. "I love you, Will."

~ ~ ~

Will was absolutely, completely, bone-dead exhausted.

He already didn't know if he could carry his backpack all the way to the campground, but now with the added weight of another person and that other person's heavy hiking backpack?

If it were anyone else, he never would have even offered. But, this was Ash, and he could see the sleepy way the boy's eyelids were fighting to stay open. He suffered through the weight and the walk, keeping his arms firmly beneath Ash's knees, refusing to let him down even when his hips, arms, and legs burned.

Oh my god though please let this end soon—

Finally, they reached the large clearing where several of the leaders and campers had already reached and were beginning to help set up tents. Will would have helped, except he didn't want to. He sat down on a log at the edge of the clearing and shifted Ash off of him and onto his lap, where the half-asleep boy immediately turned and snuggled into his broad chest.

Will blinked, then smiled, wrapping his arms around him and kissing the top of his fluffy hair. Sitting here, like this, in the fading orange sunlight in the middle of the forest, Asher in his arms...

Will closed his eyes and breathed in, letting himself imagine a little further.

After the camp, they'd keep in touch, for sure. There was no way they'd just cut off all connection. Their birthdays were somewhat close, only ten days apart. Ash's eighteenth birthday was July 21st, and Will's was July 31st.